Sunday, 1 September 2013

Vegan Carrot, Potato and Peas Curry

September the 1st marks the start of Vegan Month of Food also fondly referred to as Vegan MoFo in blogosphere.

This is my first year of participating in Vegan MoFo, and I have decided to kick-start with a relatively simple and thrifty Anglo-Indian curry  that I have veganized by replacing the ghee or butter with vegetable oil.  
I made it with the mish mash of vegetables laying in my wicker vegetable basket: namely carrots,  and potatoes, except for the peas which came from my freezer.  
This is not an overly spicy dish, it is not one that will blow you little noggin off.  You actually taste and feel the spices in the background.  There is sweetness from the carrots too.  My husband really liked this dish, he said it made a nice change from his usual favourite that is often made with cauliflower florets.  I served this dish simply with some boiled Basmati rice.

Vegan Carrot, Potato and Peas Curry
Serves 4
4 - 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, minced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 inch of ginger, grated or minced
1 teaspoon of salt or to taste
1 teaspoon chilli powder or to taste
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
2 fresh chillies, sliced or 1 teaspoon of chilli powder or to taste
4 fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped or 1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, chopped

4 - 6 carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into even sized chunks
120g frozen peas, defrosted
Optional: garam masala for garnishing
In a large wide pan, heat the oil then add the minced onions, garlic and ginger and cook until transparent, add the spices and cook until the oil rises to the surface. Add the tomatoes and cook until well integrated. Then add the potatoes first, cook for about five minutes, then add in the carrot and cook until both the potatoes and carrots are tender and well cooked. Keep stirring to stop the vegetables from sticking to the pan, when vegetables are cooked, stir in the peas.  Here you can cook for a few more minutes until the peas are cooked and  serve it as a dry curry that would be good to eat with an Indian style bread like naan or chapatti; or add 150ml - 250ml water to the pot, bring to the boil, let it simmer until the flavours have infused into the water. Serve with rice and garnish with a little sprinkling of garam masala


  1. Looks superdelicious! Perfect for my stash of veggies from the farmer's market. :)
    Thanks for sharing...Happy MoFo!

  2. That would be a lot of chilli powder for me but it looks like great comfort food if I could ratchet the spice factor down a little - exactly the vegies I used to eat when I was a kid and often have about the house so definitely one for me to try

    1. You can def. tone down the chilli Johanna :)

  3. Very economical and tasty dish! I love Anglo-Indian food; reminds me of my Grandmother :)

  4. Oh yum! I have everything I need to make this one - I'll report back!

    1. I really hope you like it. Adjust the spices to your taste buds.

  5. nice! i love carrots and peas together


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You