Tuesday, 3 September 2013

No Bake Carrot Cake Granola Bites

There is no shortage of vegan friendly granola balls aka energy bites on blogosphere.  Granola balls are all common in that they are made with traditional rolled oats, but held together with different nut butters such as peanut, hazelnut, almond and dried fruit such as apricots, cherries, raisins, sultanas and so on.  I decided to base mine on this one, only because I had many of the ingredients to hand, as well as the carrots that I mentioned early in the week that had to be used up.

D said they were nice, but aesthetically reminded him of the bird feed balls, hence bird food.  I responded back that there were better, there are no seeds in them with added bonus that these ones are designed for human consumption.  He smiled back. 
There were too many Granola Bites for just D and me to enjoy, so I packed some up neatly and delivered them to my mother.  My mother positively loved them, so much so I think she must have eaten three in one sitting.  She said they reminded her of a South Asian sweet called Ladoo.  Ladoo/Laddu are  ball shaped sweet made from various flours including semolina or chickpea flour, sugar and a number of other ingredients and often shared on celebratory occasions like engagements, wedding or festive religious dates.
I'm entering these Granola Bites into a number of blog food challenges this month.  First its of to Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill at  Real Food Forager; and Credit Crunch Munch, a food blogging challenge set by Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and Camilla at Fab Food 4 All.  This challenge encourages us to share our frugal food recipes in order to share that good food does not have to cost the earth. This month it is hosted by Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary

I am also sharing it with Healthy Diet - Healthy Lunch Box Recipes, as this would make a perfect and healthy lunch box treat.  The challenge is being run by Priya at Nivedhanam; and finally Tea Time Treats which is hosted by Karen of Lavender and Lovage this month.  Karen has  chosen Flapjacks, Oats and Traybakes for this month's Tea Time Treats .  

No Bake Carrot Cake Energy Bites
Makes around 18 or more
Ingredients
165g rolled jumbo oats
50g ground almonds
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
175g peanut butter
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon  ground cinnamon
125g carrots, grated
75g raisins and sultanas
Method
In a large bowl, mix together the rolled jumbo oats, ground almonds and flax seed.
Stir in the almond or peanut butter, maple syrup and cinnamon until well combined.
Stir in the grated carrot, raisins and sultanas.
Using your hands roll the mixture into bite-sized balls; or if it's easier for you, use a ice-cream  scoop to spoon out equal quantity as well as size.
Place the Carrot Cake Energy Bites on a baking tray, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight to firm up.   Store the Carrot Cake bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.  Adapted from Cookin' Canuck.


UP-DATED: 17/09/2013 My lovely friend at Poppycock and Other creative Nonsense has made these No Bake Carrot Bites, please follow this link.  She also has some lovely crochet carrot brooches, I adore them.  

16 comments:

  1. Yum! I love raw balls but I've never tried a carrot cake version, I usually do some kind of cacao variation. These sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaheen these sound brilliant and music to my ears with no cooking as I think the oven temperature is starting to go again. I haven't made any type of granola balls before, just tiffin type things with lots of nuts, seeds and fruit. I can see they do look a bit bird seedy but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating when I get round to them. thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about your oven on the blinker all the time. I hope you like them if you get to try them, real easy for sure.

      Delete
  3. Oh, this looks SO good! I'm going to bookmark these and try them after MoFo is over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree.. balls of any kind with a rich nutty taste are close to ladoos:) these look fab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you agree that they are close to ladoos. Hope your well Richa

      Delete
  5. Oh just fab Shaheen. I was just thinking about experimenting with something like this for Cooper's lunchboxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look forward to seeing what you pop in little Coopers lunchbox, and my oh my he is growing

      Delete
  6. wow this is a great recipe... healthy and nutritious!!! Thanks for linking it to my event!! Looking for more yummy recipes!!

    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I am so glad I discovered it.

      Delete
  7. Fabulous little truffle style bites, made with a carrot cake and granola mix - this is such an innovative recipe! THANKS for adding them to Tea Time Treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. I like your descriptive of little truffle style bites, made me smile.

      Delete
  8. Scrummy! I love granola bites and these ones sound extra healthy with the addition of the carrot. Thank you for sharing with the credit crunch munch!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You