Friday, 13 September 2013

Beetroot Brazil Nut Roast

The  last curly kale polenta wedges were consumed yesterday morning for breakfast. So in the next few days a slice or two of this Beetroot Brazil Nut Roast will grace our plates.  

Its been a long while since I've made nut roast, well when I think of it - it was last year around Christmas time, still that is a while ago.  With the season changing, well it makes sense for a vegetarian who wants more texture and bite on the plate.

The ingredients for this nut roast came from various places.  Whilst going through my kitchen cupboards I found various things that get pushed to the back.  Amongst various things that I will share with you in the next few days as I am determined to use them up, one was potato flour.  I don't even remember picking up potato flour; and the other was a packet of Brazil nuts.  The beetroot came from my mothers home.  I had some wholemeal brown bread going stale, it was going to go to the wood pigeons in the garden, but I decided not to share it with them.  Oh before you think meany Shaheeny, let me tell you even though we have a cat in the garden, these are well treated birds, they got proper bird seed. 

The Beetroot Brazil Nut Roast sliced beautifully.  I wish I could show you what it looked like inside, I might still in the next couple of days as mentioned I still have quite a bit to go through.    And its actually tasted much nicer than I had expected.  It was a proper nut roast with hints of beetroot.  This time round it was served with new potatoes, baby carrots and runner beans, but other seasonal green veg like kale or broccoli would do nicely too.
I am sharing this Beetroot Brazil Nut Roast with Four Seasons Food 'Sliding into Autumn' theme. Four Seasons Food hosted by Anneli of Delicieux and Louisa at Chezfoti; and Credit Crunch Munch, a food blogging challenge set by Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and Camilla at Fab Food 4 All.  This challenge encourages us to share our frugal food recipes in order to share that good food does not have to cost the earth. This month it is hosted by Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary

Beetroot Brazil Nut Roast
Makes 1lbloaf tin Serves 6 - 8
Ingredients
1 teaspoon vegan margarine
1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, chopped
2 medium fresh beetroot, peeled and grated
200g Brazil nuts, blitzed in a food processor - but not to fine, you want texture and bite
180g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
100g potato flour
2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc.  Grease and line a 1lb loaf tin with baking parchment paper.
In a large bowl, pour in the chopped tomatoes, then add all of the other ingredients and stir well to combine.  
Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin pressing it down well.  Place the tin in the oven and bake for 45 - 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool.  Carefully run a  knife around the inside of the tin to loosen it.  Turn out carefully onto a serving dish.  Slice and enjoy.

12 comments:

  1. I haven't been here in a logn while and I wish I have! You have such great creative ideas for vegetables, and especially right now when it's the best of the seasons really (my favourite vegetables are all here!) I've been buying so much and not doing them justice. Great one as usual Shaheen, and am sure to try this out, maybe with walnuts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay Shu Han, I am guilty of not coming by too :(
      Thank you sooo much for your lovely comments, means a lot. Now when will I be famous that is the question :) Ha ha just kidding, I hope you try this out, should be ok with walnuts.

      Delete
  2. That is a seriously pretty nut roast! It almost looks like a cake! Those swirls of purple are stunning.I bet the beetroot adds a lovely sweetness and works perfectly with the nuts. Thanks for this super entry for Four Seasons Food :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Anneli, we still have quite a bit which we are enjoying as a snack.

      Delete
  3. Ooh delicious! I have so many beetroot in the garden but am starting to struggle for ideas for how to cook them. I grew chioggia this year so they're not as red, meaning I'm not using them in the ways I would traditional beetroot. Your loaf looks great - I'm going to pin it so I remember to come back to it. Thanks for sharing :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it so good to hear from you Hannah.
      I've loads of beetroot ideas on my blog, just type beetroot int he search bar and you'll hopefully find some more inspiration.

      I love chioggia, i loved it roasted and in a salad with balsamic. I miss growing it. In fact i miss growing my own veg. full stop :(

      Delete
  4. Mmm, love a nut roast! I bet this is something my mum would like to try too, she grows a lot of beetroot on her allotment but usually only eats it in a salad or pickled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily. More nuts roasts to feature as autumn is kicking in. I hope you get your mum to give it a go.

      Delete
  5. I think you know I love nut roasts and I am bowled over by the beautiful beetroot swirls in this one (as nut roasts can look very dull) - it sounds delicious and I would never think meany shaheeny - esp when it comes to not sharing bread with birds - I don't think bread was ever intended to be part of their diet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do Johanna, and I hope to participate in your next event. I hope to make this again, it was enjoyed. Just too much for a couple to eat. If I make again, I'll freeze some of it. :)

      Delete
  6. What a clever recipe! It looks delicious!!! Thank you for sharing with Credit Crunch Munch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will be making this again.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You