Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Vegan Butter Bean Curry

Well if you liked my Red Kidney Bean Curry, then I already know you are going to love my Vegan Butter Bean Curry. 

Butter Beans are also known as lima beans.  These butter beans were dried, so I soaked them overnight and cooked them the following day until tender.  I don't like using tinned butter beans, not because I am a snob as I'm quite content with tinned chickpeas.  Its just that I have often found that once decanted, drained and rinsed - the tinned butter beans are mushed in the brine and horrid to look at, let alone eat - Yuk!  So if you do decided to make this, all this is way of saying, please please do not substitute this recipe with tinned, soaking your butter beans here is really worth the effort.

I really enjoyed how the butter beans just melted in the mouth and the spices in the background just danced on the tongue, especially the cumin. 
I'd suggest serving this with brown rice, as its slightly more chewy texture will compliment the buttery aspect of the butter beans.  My blogger friend The Yogi Vegetarian is hosting a Brown Rice Bonanza event, so if you have any brown rice dishes then please go over and share them.
I am sharing this recipe with as well as Javelin Warrior's for his Made with Love Mondays; as this dish was totally made from scratch including the overnight soaking and cooking of the butter beans (so much better than tinned) and  to Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill at  Real Food Forager; as well as The Yogi Vegetarian who hosting a Brown Rice Bonanza event.  

Vegan Butter Bean Curry
Serves 6
Ingredients
250g dried butter beans, soaked overnight then drained and cooked with fresh water until soft.  Drain and set aside.


4 - 6 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 large onions, minced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 inch of ginger, grated or minced

1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon of salt or to taste
1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
2 fresh chillies, sliced or 1 teaspoon of chilli powder or to taste
4 fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped

Optional: fresh minced coriander for garnishing
Method
In a large wide pan, heat the oil then add the minced onions, garlic and ginger and cook until transparent, add the cumin seeds and spices and cook until the oil rises to the surface. Add the tomatoes and cook until well integrated. Then stir in the butter beans and cook until flavours are well infused and the beans are proper tender and well cooked. Keep stirring to stop the beans from sticking to the pan.  When the oil has raised to the surface again, add 150ml - 250ml water to the pot, bring to the boil, let it simmer until the flavours have infused into the water. Serve with brown rice and garnish with fresh minced coriander. 




22 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious!! I really love butter beans and this seems like a really great meal on a budget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a great meal on a budget Zoe. As you know I don't have much money, well none at the moment as I'm unemployed (and not claiming anything from the gov't either), so meals like this will be more frequent on my blog. Do hope you like. Its great in a bread roll too.

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious! I am loving your MoFo theme--a good curry is one of my favorite things to eat in the world and I can't decide which one to make first!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, its funny - I've actually made quite a number of curries this month, purely accidental.

      Delete
  4. looks like the perfect dish for this cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Butter beans sound like a wonderful want to keep the curry vegan without using lentils (although I love lentils)... And soaking your own beans certainly makes a big difference in texture and flavor, I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Javelin. You really do have to use proper butter beans for this, no canned stuff!

      Delete
  6. Mouthwatering! And lovely pictures too. You can link it to the brown rice event if you like, as it seems to be an important part of the meal as a whole.... thanks for spreading the word about the event, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh yum! My boyfriend and I love butter beans, we will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love butter beans and ohgoodgolly your curried version is perfect for this time of year...warmly spicy and filling and easy to make for potluck dinners or just all for myself. ;)
    Many thanks for the recipe...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Peace Patch, for coming by quite regularly during vegan Mofo,your support is appreciated.

      Delete
  9. ooo. that looks really good! i love butter beans (not so much kidney beans). am going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sian, it really is tasty. Do hope you give it a try and moreso like it.

      Delete
  10. I'm not a fan of butter beans, but I think I'll give this a go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This dish may just convert you Jasmine, just make sure you use dried butte beans, not the tinned stuff - it really does make a difference to taste and texture.

      Delete
  11. This looks really good - I love butter beans!

    I also really like your description of the spices dancing on the tongue.

    www.kneadwhine.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen