Friday, 20 September 2013

Papaya Salsa

I've made my popular Black Turtle Bean and Red Pepper Chilli so that we could have enchiladas for supper in the the next few days. To accompany the enchiladas I sometimes make my own tomato salsa or even one with the added crunch of celery.  However, as I still had half a papaya in the fridge left over from the  'Mauritian Beef' Soy Chunk and Papaya Curry early in the week, I thought I'd try my hand at making a papaya fruit salsa.  

I knew it would work, as I've tried both pineapple salsa and mango salsa in the past, but I did not know how much I would like it.  So what was the verdict?!

 Oh my goodness, I not only liked it.  I loved it.  I especially loved how the jalapeno and coriander spiked and imparted its flavours to intensify the papaya pieces.  It worked beautifully with the enchiladas, as well as tortilla chips which will be light nibbles for tonight's movie.

I am sharing this absolutely delicious Papaya Fruit Salsa with Ricki at Diet, Dessert, Dogs for her Wellness Weekends 19-23 September. Karen over at Lavender and Lovage for theSeptembers edition of Cooking with Herbs and finally No Waste Food Challenge, which encourages us to use up leftovers.  I purchased this papaya early in the week at a discounted price so that I could make a  'Mauritian Beef' Soy Chunk and Papaya Curry, with the other half that would probably have been left in the fridge and then lobbed out eventually, I was able to make this delicious salsa.  The challenge is hosted this month by Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary on behalf of Kate from Turquoise Lemons 
Papaya, Coriander and Jalapeno Salsa
Serves 6
Ingredients
1/2 papaya, peeled well and seeds removed, then chopped into small pieces
Small handful of fresh coriander, minced
1 small red onion, peeled and minced
Pinch of salt
2 - 4 tablespoons of jalapeno from a jar, minced
Method
Simply stir all ingredients together, then chill for a couple of hours for flavours to kiss each other well before enjoying served over a enchilada, burrito or as a salsa dip for your tortilla chips.  

 

10 comments:

  1. I love enchiladas and this post just made me hungry, hahah.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love salsas with fruit!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that does look good. Love the photos too and now I am craving enchiladas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on over to my place Jac and you'll be treated to some enchilladas!

      Delete
  4. I wish I had half a papaya "left over in the fridge"! Mind you, my favourite way to eat papaya is simply with a squeeze of lime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, its not that often I can say that i have papaya in the fridge, its not a fruit i eat that much, but only purchased it at a reduced price for the Mauritian Papaya curry dish that i really wanted to try. I will have to try is simply with a squeeze of lime next time :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds superb and an excellent way to use up half a papaya which otherwise would have gone to waste. Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen