Thursday, 12 September 2013

Black Beans and Pineapple Stew

This is a really easy dish.  Its not the kind of dish I often make, a bit of sweet and sour, but after my culinary venture a few months back, I have been left with a load of dried beans, of which there are plenty of black turtle beans. 

At the weekend I also picked up a couple of pineapples for the bargain price of 2 for £1.  I knew what I was going to make with one of them - Upside Down Pineapple Cake, but not so sure about the other - perhaps a fruit salad.  But in reality it went towards this stew that we ate only last night. 

Please don't mistake there red bits floating about as red pepper, easily done.  Its actually chopped tomato and a tinned one to that - I know shame on me, especially as fresh tomatoes are in season, but to be honest I didn't want to chop up my nice fresh tomatoes, so it had to be tinned this time. 
 I think the colours in this dish look pretty awesome: gold, red and black.  Okay now for the verdict on taste:  I didn't like it.  I found it harsh, the soy sauce and molasses a little overwhelming on the palette, it was only saved by the counter flavour from the pineapple sweetness.  And what did D think?! Well he wasn't that keen on it either saying it was just alright.
It is suggested in the book to serve it over rice; or as a side dish.  If you wish to try this recipe for yourself, I have posted the recipe below.  Its up to you, I would say have some greens on the plate too though.  Fellow blogger Ruckusbutt from Food Life Dog suggested making her Honolulu Skillet, I'm lookign forward to trying it, so have bookmarked her recipe for when I come home with some fresh pineapples, but tinned will also do.  

Black Beans and Pineapple Stew
Serves 6
200g dried black turtle beans, soaked overnight and cooked till tender.  Drain and set aside
1 medium fresh pineapple, chopped or 1 can, drained and chopped

1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon molasses
2 teaspoon mustard
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc.
Lightly oil a large casserole dish.
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, except for the black turtle beans and pineapple.  Combine well.  Then stir in the beans and the pineapple.  Pour gently into the casserole dish and bake covered for 40 minutes.  Adapted from The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy International Recipes by Bobbie Hinman.


  1. what an unusual dish and such a shame you didn't like it, it looks so interesting but I can't imagine eating it unless, and you're really NOT going to like this, you ate it with some stewed meat or something?

    1. I do think your right Dom, his may be more of a meat accompaniment.

  2. I have a somewhat similar recipe that I quite enjoy. It isn't exceptional but serves well as a decent, quick weekday meal. I think you would enjoy it more than this, perhaps. I will try to post it soon and will let you know when I do.

    Definitely great colour contrast!

    1. I'd be curious to see your recipe RuckusButt.
      Look forward to it.

  3. I love pineapple in stews and similar and this looks like a gorgeous dish - so bright too!

  4. Interesting dish- I agree with you; it does sound a little harsh from the list of ingredients, but it does look really good. Maybe as well as greens it would be milder with a side of rice? And no vinegar? Or maybe even minus the beans but with the vinegar as a chutney?

    1. Thanks for your suggestions, I don't think I'll be making this one again.

  5. it sounds interesting. i would totally serve it with rice or polenta to cut down some of the sweetness.

  6. Thank you for the link, Shaheen.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You