Sunday, 15 September 2013

Vegan Gold Leaf and Glitter Chocolate Cake

Gold Leaf and Glitter Chocolate Cake otherwise known as Bling Bling Cake.   

For those of you who have been reading my blog a while, will know that I am pretty skint these days.  I personally cannot afford a lot of new things at the moment, let alone gold leaf.  These sheets of gold leaf (ans silver leaf) were gifted to me by my mother a while back when she bought some herself to garnish a dessert for my fathers 60th Birthday party last year.  I had only rediscovered it a few days ago whilst exploring what gets  pushed right to the back of the kitchen cupboards.  

Well, I thought rather than push it back again, only for it to be lost again in the kitchen cupboard that I would bake a cake for one of my nephews who was heading of to University and bling the cake up with not just with a sheet of this edible gold leaf, but also edible gold dust.  
Sadly I am not the most artful of cake decorators. So I would not be surprised if some of you are tutting to yourself and saying in your head 'what a waste of gold leaf paper' as you may have been able to apply it more elegantly, but I admit I am a little heavy handed, plus the fact that i have not drawn since my High School days.  

Still the young boy I presented this vegan chocolate cake to was thrilled with it.   After all its the thought that counts and the taste - he was none the wiser that this was a vegan.  His one comment when he took it out of the cake box is that it looked like a decadent Oreo.  Made me smile.  He was right.
I am submitting these 'Gold Leaf Chocolate Cake' to We Should Cocoa Challenge. The challenge this month is to create a Chocolate Showstopper Cake.  We Should Cocoa is hosted by Choclette of Chocolate Log Blog.  The idea was conceived by both Choclette and Chele of Chocolate Teapot.

Vegan Gold Leaf and Glitter Chocolate Cake
You will need 2 x 8 inch round spring form cake tins for this cake.  Line with baking parchment paper
Serves 12
425g plain flour
75g cocoa powder
11/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
180g golden caster sugar
100g dark chocolate chips

400ml soy milk
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
200ml vegetable oil
Optional garnish: Gold leaf and Gold edible sparkle
Method
Sieve the dry ingredients first over a large bowl, then stir in the sugar. In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients and then carefully pour into the dry ingredients and combine well. Stir int he chocolate chips and stir again to combine.  Then pour into baking tin. 
Bake at gas mark 4/180oC for 45 - 50 minutes of until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and remove from the tin  Best decorated and served the following day.
For the vegan 'cream cheese' frosting
3 cups icing sugar
1/ cups vegan margarine
2/3 cup vegan cream cheese
Method
Put the icing sugar and margarine into a bowl and whisk together until combines.  Allow to chill before spreading it on top of one of the cakes.  Then sandwich together.
The carefully decorate with optional gold leaf and sprinkle with edible gold sparkle dust.
 

14 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful cake Shaheen. It looks homemade and that is the best type of cake ever. The gold leaf and glitter do make it look very special. I keep toying with the idea of getting some, but it's just too expensive. What a lovely thing to do for your nephew. Thank you for sharing your bling bling cake with We Should Cocoa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Choclette. The cake was very much enjoyed by my nephew and he shared it with his cousins, all declared it delicious. I know what you mean about the gold leaf, i was just very fortunate that my mother shared some with me. I am hoping to make D a cake with it soon, its his birthday next month and our wedding anniversary. You know he loves chocolate more than me :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful cake! Personally, I like the way you applied the gold leaf; the whole thing looks really magical:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much Yogi Vegetarian.

      Delete
  3. Did you get that last comment from me? I think I clicked off the page before it was submitted. So in case you didn't... that's a really beautiful cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great name...Bling Bling Cake! It looks lovely and your nephew must have been very pleased indeed. Oreo gone gold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Gardening Bren.
      My nephew was well pleased, delighted in fact.
      Just to let you know, I started writing you an e mail, then paused to fill in job applications, as well as other distractions - I haven't forgotten you - honest.

      Delete
  5. I actually was not surprised to see this stunning cake - I think you undersell your presentation skills - and I love cooking for kids because it takes so little to excite them. Definitely a showstopper. And one I would love a slice of (which I can say about every showstopper)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your just too kind Johanna. I have soem gold leaf left, so I am hoping to make my darling husband a decadent chocolate cake of his own end of October for his birthday and i hope to be a little more artful then, let see :)

      Delete
  6. That looks shiny and amazing! It reminds me of an oreo too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't really used gold leaf for cooking - it does seem quite an extravagant expense! But it looks pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel.
      Its a cultural thing in many South Asian households to decorate celebratory desserts with silver or gold leaf,

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You