Sunday, 8 September 2013

Polenta Kale Wedges with Chilli Cumin Carrots

There are a number of vegetables that I truly miss growing, courgettes, tomatoes, Swiss chard and curly kale.  Oh how I came to like curly kale. 

Well yesterday I got ever so excited when I saw a bundle of curly kale, I snatched a bunch.   You can of course find them at supermarkets, but its already torn and shredded.  I want it whole, the whole leaf so that I can make some kale chips,.  Kale chips are super pricey in the health shops and yet like most things, so cheap to make at home, providing of course you can get the ingredients.  And this weekend I was fortunate to do so.  The crispy kale chips will appear on my blog in the next few days, but today I want to share these Polenta Kale Wedges.

I often make gluten free polenta slabs filled with various ingredients, namely anti-pasti ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes, olives and artichoke hearts or this Savoy Cabbage Polenta.  I also like to make polenta chips, so I kinda combined all those recipes to come up with these Polenta Kale Wedges.  Very good.
Of course you don't have to make wedges, they can be slabs, or pour the polenta batter into round pie tins to set.  Once set you can shallow fry the polenta wedges, for a crispy exterior and soft interior. 
You may accompany the Polenta Kale Wedges with anything you like really.  I have made so much of it left that it will probably last us until mid-week.  We will probably be having some tomorrow morning for breakfast with spaghetti; and for our evening meal with a spiced tomato sauce of sorts.  Today though, these wedges were served with Chilli Cumin flecked carrots.
I am sharing a slice of this pan-fried Polenta Kale Wedge with Ricki at Diet, Dessert, Dogs for her Wellness Weekends 5-9 September.
Polenta Kale Cakes
Makes 12 wedges
You will need a large round non-stick dish, a pizza pan is great otherwise use a baking tin. 
Mine was 10 inches round.
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
200g-250g kale, washed, rinsed and shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
250g quick cook polenta
Method
In a wide pan, heat the oil then stir in the garlic and chilli flakes and sauté for a couple of minutes, then stir in the kale.  Turn the heat down and put the lid on for it to steam cook, stir now and again to stop the kale from sticking and burning.  You may wish to add a splash of water or two if you think its getting too dry before its tender.  When the kale is tender, season to taste with salt and pepper.
Carefully remove from the heat and tip into a bowl. 
Wipe the pan clean with a tissue.
Then cook the polenta according to the packet instructions boiling enough water or vegetable stock for 250g polenta.  When the water is bubbling and you have added the polenta and it begins to bubble furiously, stir in the sautéed kale, stirring well to coat with the polenta.  Pour into the non-stick baking tin.  Allow to cool.  When cool.  Turn out onto a chopping board and slice into 12 wedges.  Enjoy at room temperature or pan fry in a little olive oil until both sides are golden and crispy.   
Chilli Cumin Carrots
Ingredients
Olive oil
Chilli Flakes
Cumin Seeds
Baby Carrots, lightly steamed
Method
Simply heat enough oil in the pan when it begins to shimmer, stir in the chilli flakes and cumin seeds and saute for a couple of minutes for it to release its aroma, then toss in the carrots and coat well before serving.

18 comments:

  1. Looks good! I keep getting kale in my veg box and am running out of ideas of what to do with it, so I will have to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get to try them, they are quite nice and a good with any side.

      Delete
  2. These look absolutely delicious, I love curly kale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter make kale chips at least once a week. They are so goo!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you Little Messy Missy, its been a while. Yeah I adore munching on curly kale chips,.

      Delete
  4. Hey Shaheen! Sorry it's been so long! The transition from google reader to feedly has me all up in a heap. These kale wedges are right up my alley. I've got kale growing like crazy in my garden, but just like every other autumn, it is now infested with disgusting disgusting aphids. So many that I can't even clean them off without knowing I'm probably missing, and being too grossed out to eat it. The collard greens have them too, but because they are flat (unlike curly kale) they are pretty easy to spray off with the hose. Apparently there's no cure :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh e - wow - it truly has been so long since I have heard from you, so good to hear from you. No need to apologise, I haven't been blogging much up until recently that is.

      I do so hope youget to try these, I am so jealous you have kale growing in your garden, I miss it. I know what you mean about the bugs, when I was growing brassicas such as kale it too got infested with the horrid stuff, that I could not bear to eat some of the veg. I can only advise netting your brassicas in future, may deter those blasted cabbage butterflies from laying their eggs there. I will be on over to visit.

      Delete
  5. Delicious twist on polenta...perfectly paired with kale and it's gorgeous too! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delcious! I've only ever had the broccoli polenta squares from veganomicon and was thinking of doing it again with different veg. I'll give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Ive tried veganomicons broccoli polenta squares, will have a flick through my book later, I often mark it with pen or pencil if I've cooked the recipe. I hope you like this if you get round to trying it.

      Delete
  7. kale & polenta sounds super interesting together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good Shaheen, what a fabulous idea. We don't have any curly kale this year, the pidgins ate it all, but we do have some sea kale and I don't see why that wouldn't work. I've never made kale chips either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Choclette. Hope your well.
      Blinking pigeons, if it not the birds it the slugs, if its not the slugs its those horrid bugs. It should be ab. fine with sea kale, in fact any other green inc. broccoli. I'll be posting my kale crisps recipe hopefully tomorrow, munching on some right now :)

      Delete
    2. Haha, just realised I spelt pigeons wrong - serves them right! I'm fine thank you. Hope all is well with you.

      Delete
    3. Yeah it made me smile. What were you thinking my dear. :) Sometimes it genuinely a typo.I think it will work with sea kale, I've made wild garlic crisps before and they just about worked. So do try it.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You