Sunday, 22 September 2013

Jamaican Butternut Squash Stew

You will have to forgive me for what will be a short post, I am a little distracted at the moment with things that are taking a little bit more priority than blogging at the moment, but before I go, I thought I'd share this Jamaican Butternuts Squash Stew that I made for our supper this evening.

Oh my it was really flavourful.  I really liked the gravy and the heat imparted from the scotch bonnet.  If the thought of Scotch Bonnet frightens you, then please feel free to exchange it for a milder red chilli. The stew was served with some plain white rice. 

The runner beans are my own addition (and probably not authentic in Caribbean cuisine)  I only added it to the stew as an afterthought because I had them and thought they would make a lovely addition. 
This is my submission to Deb of Kahakai Kitchen for this week’s Souper (Soup, Salad and Sammies) SundaysKaren over at Lavender and Lovage for the Septembers edition of Cooking with Herbs;and finally Flavours of the Caribbean initiated by  Simply Food and The Spicy Pear.
Jamaican Butternut Squash and Runner Bean Stew
Serves 4 - 5
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
a few sprigs of thyme
Pinch of allspice
2 tablespoon curry powder
1 Scotch Bonnet, pierced (or two red chilles, de-seeded and sliced)
Salt to taste
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped into bite size chunks
Optional 200g runner beans, sliced
1 red pepper, cleaned and sliced
4 spring onions, sliced
1 pint vegetable stock
Heat the oil in a wide pan with a lid.  Then stir in the onions and garlic, when soft stir in the thyme, curry powder and scotch bonnet (or chillies) and stir for the spices to flavour the oil and coat the onion and garlic.  Stir int he butternut squash and put lid on until it begins to soften, stir now and against o stop it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.  Then stir in the red peppers and spring onions and stock, bring to the boil.  Then cook on a gentle simmer until vegetables are tender and the stock is reduced to a thick gravy.  Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary and serve with plain white rice. Adapted and inspired by this recipe.


  1. This stew looks so fresh and spicy and I love all of the colors in it! Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays. ;-)

  2. Great looking stew, and full of flavour :)

    1. Thank you. Certainly full of flavour.

  3. Delicious! I'll be saving this recipe to try it out. :)

  4. Thank you for submitting this recipe to the Flavours of the Caribbean event. Its looks deliciously wholesome.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You