Thursday, 5 September 2013

Vegan Red Kidney Bean Curry

I do enjoy eating chickpeas in whatever cooked form, whether they be roasted, as a dip such as hummus or in a curry.  Next to chickpeas, I think butter beans would be top on my legume list, kidney beans would come thereafter.  I tend to cook with kidneys beans in chilli pots, veggie burgers, soups, bean salads and more recently these Sunny Caribbean Vegetable Patty Pies.

I have to admit, its been a long while since I've made this Red Kidney Bean curry.  To be honest I cannot remember the last time, maybe when I was a student. 

Those of you who have been fortunate to travel to India will have undoubtedly tried a vegetarian Indian Kidney Bean Curry known as Rajma, especially in Northern Parts of India.  I actually made this Kidney Bean Curry a couple of weeks ago, when my husband brought home some baby orange and yellow peppers, so I added these and some potatoes to the pot, because of these additional vegetables I am not going to call this a Rajma Curry - Red Kidney Bean Curry will just have to suffice. 

If you like vegetarian chilli pots then I know you will like this.   The kidney beans just melt in your mouth.
I am sharing this autumnal  red dish Four Seasons Food 'Sliding into Autumn' theme. Four Seasons Food hosted by Anneli of Delicieux and Louisa at Chezfoti.
Vegan Kidney Bean, Peppers and Potato Curry
Serves 6 as an accompaniment to rice or Indian style bread like naan.
4 - 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, minced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 inch of ginger, grated or minced
1 teaspoon of salt or to taste
1 teaspoon chilli powder or to taste
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
2 fresh chillies, sliced or 1 teaspoon of chilli powder or to taste
4 fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped or 1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, chopped

2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into even sized chunks
1 large yellow pepper or 3 small, cut in half, de-seeded, sliced length ways and washed
1 x 400g tinned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Optional: garam masala for garnishing
In a large wide pan, heat the oil then add the minced onions, garlic and ginger and cook until transparent, add the spices and cook until the oil rises to the surface. Add the tomatoes and cook until well integrated. Then add the potatoes first, cook for about ten minutes, then add in the peppers and cook until the vegetables are tender. Keep stirring to stop the vegetables from sticking to the pan, when vegetables are cooked, stir in the beans and 150ml - 250ml water to the pot, bring to the boil, let it simmer until the flavours have infused into the water.

Garnish with a little sprinkling of garam masala
Serve with rice or bread.


  1. One of my all-time favourite Indian recipes is one called "Punjabi beans" - 5 different types of bean cooked with ghee. Fab with chappatis.

  2. YUM!! I love curry so much, this looks amazing!

  3. Spicy, healthy goodness all in one pot! I love the look of this, it looks lovely and soft and gorgeously red and warming. I think I am going to have to try this on one of our veggie nights...I rarely cook kidney beans but I do like them so this would be a good reminder. Thanks for entering this lovely Autumnal curry into Four Seasons Food! x

    1. Thank you so much Anneli.

      I think you will like this, my husband tends to snub his nose but when he dives in the plate always comes back clean.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You