Tuesday, 17 September 2013

Whole Hazelnut and Molasses Oat Bars

I know these whole hazelnut and molasses oat bars look chocolatey, but the oats here have been stained by the black strap molasses.  

What I like about the look of these Oat bars is that they just shout out autumn to me - my favourite season.  

These are not the sweetest of Oat Bars that you'll ever eat, but it still has texture, flavour, bite and chew.  I have to admit I was lazy and that is the reason my hazelnuts went in whole, but I liked the crunch.  You can if you so wish, chop it up.   
I am sharing a slice of this Whole Hazelnut and Molasses Bar with Bake Fest this is link to event announcement and hosting schedule; and Karen of Lavender and Lovage for this month's Tea Time Treats. This month  Karen has  chosen Flapjacks, Oats and Traybakes as the theme. 

Whole Hazelnuts and Molasses Oat Bars
Makes about 10 slices or more depending on how you cut it
Ingredients
250g rolled jumbo oats
120g whole hazelnuts, lightly toasted in the oven 
120g currants (or raisins)
2 tablespoons plain flour
11/2 tablespoons golder caster sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
2 tablespoons black strap molasses
150ml hot water
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc.
In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients,  Ina jug measure out the hot water and then stir in the molasses.  Then pour into the dry and stir well to combine until well coated.  Then spread out into a baking tin, lined with baking parchment paper.  Bake for 15 minutes on top shelf.
Allow to cool, before slicing.

12 comments:

  1. yes, they really do look like autumn don't they... gorgeous little bars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love autumn too, and also enjoy bars that aren't too sweet - so these sound great to me. I love your use of hazelnuts too, they aren't featured in enough snack bars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, my mother grumbled that they lacked sweetness, so they really are not that sweet, so you will def. like them.

      Delete
  3. Another FABULOUS entry into Tea Time Treats thanks Shaheen and I LOVE the use of molasses in baking too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. We don't use molasses enough in baking, i guess because its an acquired taste.

      Delete
  4. these look delicious and healthy - just the sort of snack to take out and about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, they really are proper snack or breakfast bars.

      Delete
  5. I've been picking hazelnuts off the trees and eating them as soon as I can break the cases open. Wish I'd have saved some for these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, you never know - you may still find some.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow - these look just my kind of thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen