Friday, 27 September 2013

Curried Parsnip Samosa Pies

I mentioned a little while ago that I was venturing into vegan and vegetarian pie territory.  Well, here is another pie that I make now and again and it proves to be quite popular with ever one who has a bite.  You don't see this variation :  sweet root parsnip spiced up  on food stalls much at the moment, but I know you will soon!  Leave me a comment and I will tell you why?

If you want to see what the inside of this pie looks like, then please follow this link and you will be able to feast your beady eyes on the spicy filling.  

My family are not that keen on parsnips, because of its sweetness.  In fact its not a vegetable that my mother cooked much when I was a child.  The same is so of my sister in laws as my nephews and nieces do not  eat it either, but when I presented some to them, well they all agreed that it was utterly delicious.  In fact, my mother and sister in laws thought that the parsnip pie was made from sweet potatoes - the white variety (not red).  I can see why.      
 I served these with chaat masala new potatoes, chickpeas (and pepper namely for colour).




Curried Parsnip Samosa Pies
Makes 6 - 8 pies depending on the size of your individual tins
Ingredients
4 - 6 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into small cubes
120g - 160g frozen peas
1 medium onion, finely sliced
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon garam masala or to taste
1 red or green chilli, sliced (remove seeds if you wish)
Salt to taste
375g Ready-rolled packet of puff pastry
MethodIn one pot, steam the parsnips until soft. Then roughly mash and set aside.
In another pot, either steam or cook the potato cubes in salted water until cooked. Drain and set aside.
In another pot, boil the peas until tender. Drain and set aside.
In a wide pan, slowly fry the shallots in the oil, until soft and caramelised – this will take about 15 minutes. Halfway through the process, add the spices and cook for a few minutes more.
Now in a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Season with salt to taste.

Now make the pastryYou have three choices for the pastry.
For ease, you can use shop bought puff pastry or shortcrust pastry – in which case pour the filling into a casserole and top with the pastry and cook according to packet instructions.
Or you can make your own shortcrust pastry. For recipe follow here.
Or You can make you own hot water crust pastry. Follow here for the recipe. For individual pies, see here.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 5.

Fill the pastry and top with lid.
Bake for 30 - 40 minutes depending on the size of your shortcrust or hot water crust pastry pie(s). Allow to cool, before serving.

6 comments:

  1. I love parsnips and this recipe looks yummy, thin I will try it this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shaz, let me know if you do try this.

      Delete
  2. The first time I had parsnips was in an incredibly smooth thick rich hummus that my Dad (a non-vegan) made for me...it's still one of my favorite memories of him. Since then parsnips always make me happy. :)
    Your samosas look superyumful, especially with the potatoes and chickpeas.Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a parsnip hummus,not sure about a sweet dip either. You must share the recipe still.

      Delete
  3. Parsnip was always a bit of a treat in my childhood and I think I still think of that way today so this pie seems extra special

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen