Monday, 2 September 2013

Carrot and Raisin Cake Muesli

Want to try something different for breakfast, then why not try a bowl of this home-made Carrot and Raisin 'Cake' Muesli to kick-start your day.
This Carrot and Raisin 'Cake' Muesli recipe came about last week when I found myself with an excess of carrots that had to be used or thrown in the compost bin, well being a thrifty home cook - of course they were in a number of homely dishes, such as this Vegan Carrot, Potato and Peas Curry. 

I knew this combination of carrots and rolled oats would work, as I made some Carrot and Raisin Flapjacks last year and they proved to be popular amongst family members.  What I wasn't too sure about was if the grated carrots.  Of course to simplify  the process, I could have just thrown in the raw grated carrots to the muesli base, but most people would know that carrots leech out their juices and this would only make the muesli mouldy once put into its container, so I decided to bake them in a preheated oven, (as I don't have a food dehydrator at present).  I wasn't quite sure if doing this would frazzle the grated carrots to crisp chards, but it was worth experimenting.  I have to say I was pleased with the result.  The grated carrot dried well on baking.  
You can add other nuts to this recipe, but traditionally walnuts are used in carrot cake it you wish to stay with the carrot cake goodness boundaries. 
I am sharing this very summery dish over to Javelin Warrior's for his Made with Love Mondays; Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill at  Real Food Forager.

Carrot and Raisin 'Cake' Muesli
4 - 6 Portions
1 large carrot, grated
250g Rolled Porridge Oats
100g raisins
50g broken nuts, preferably walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch of ginger powder
Preheat oven to gas mark 5.
Spread the grated carrots onto a non-stick baking sheet and put in oven on middle shelf for 15 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave in there to cool down completely.  Please note that my oven is fan-assisted, you may need to adjust yours in accordance with manufacturers instructions.  If you have a food dehydrator, you can follow the manufacturer instructions. 
Then when the carrots are cool, simply tip all the ingredients into a large bowl, stir well with a wooden spoon and decant into a kilner jar or Tupperware tub with a fitting lid and seal until ready to enjoy.


  1. Mmmmm, carrot cake for breakfast in cereal form! I've added shredded carrot to porridge and overnight oats before but like the idea to make a toasted muesli

  2. Wow! I've recently seen a carrot cake smoothie recipe, and now carrot cake muesli!It's certainly a winning flavour combo. Will show my other half as he's a muesli fan :) btw, you can submit as many recipes to our Brown Rice Bonanza as you like, and thanks for the comment :)

    1. \Liking the sound of carrot cake smoothie :) May have to create one of my own next time.

      Oh that is good to know re the Brown Rice Bonanza. Be a nice change to swap white for brown this month.

  3. What a great way to add carrots to your breakfast, Shaheen! I love the sound of this muesli and pairing it the spices and nuts really does sound like carrot cake! Delicious and so tempting...

  4. I never would have thought to put carrot in muesli, but it looks so pretty. I could try drying the carrot out in my food dehydrator, I'll let you know how it goes once I get round to it.

    1. Thanks Jasmine, Will def. work well in a food dehydrator - lucky you.

  5. That looks really good...I'm so bummed that I missed Vegan MoFo this year...I thought it'd be in October...oh well...looking forward to all the posts anyway...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    1. Thank you affectioknit. I am sorry you have missed out on Vegan Mofo this year. I made an impulsive decision to take part only when I noted the deadline.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You