Thursday, 17 November 2011

Rosewater Rice Pudding

I cannot remember the last time I had rice pudding.  I think it must have been at my parents.  Maybe I should not admit to this, but when I was a child, I remember scraping of the cooked in brown bits at the bottom of the pan, I can't see me doing that now somehow - well maybe when no one is looking.

Rice pudding is not something I make- at all in fact, as D doesn't get on well with dairy milk so much, so I avoid making too many heavily milk based dishes, until now.  The skies here are constantly overcast and I feel a bit of ice in the air too, that its got me thinking of something more rib sticking than cake - so it is time for rice pudding.  

This began as a plain rice pudding, but I enhanced it with some rosewater and rose petals.
I don't have access to any fresh roses, (duh it is November) though I do see some pink ones growing in the new neighbours garden, but I don't ask them - making do with the dried rose petals in my store cupboard.  The last time I used the jar of dried rose petals was for the Rhubarb and Rose Bread, they impart a little colour if nothing else.  If you want to see a pink shade to this Rosewater Rice Pudding to signify the rosy aspect of it, I guess you could also add a little red food colouring, but that's up to you.  I like it how it looks here.
Another reason I wanted to make some rice pudding was that I had picked up a packet of flaked rice from the supermarket.  It was okay, but I think I prefer proper rice for rice pudding, as it gives more of a chewy, teeth sticking texture. 

Rosewater (and cardamon) is a classic South Asian and Persian combination, however I know that for some of my readers 'rosewater' may not appeal being deemed either a little too feminine or perfumed (like lavender), so I  am okay with them omitting this ingredient from the the recipe.  For those of you wanting something a little more different to jeuge up your plain rice pudding, feel free to stir in perhaps maple syrup, or even for the big kids in you - golden syrup or maybe some chocolate - oh gosh the options are endless.  I am sharing a bowl of this rice pudding at SimpleLives Thursday#70 hosted by Gnowfglins.
Rosewater Rice Pudding aka Gulab Pani Ki Kheer
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients
100g Basmati rice or flaked rice
1 litre full fat milk
4 - 6 tablespoons caster sugar

1 tablespoon rosewater or rose syrup
1 teaspoon dried rose petals.
2 - 3 tablespoons toasted almond flakes for decoration and texture
Method
Wash and soak the rice for about 15 minutes.
Drain the rice and then place in a heavy bottomed saucepan.  Stir in the milk and sugar and bring to the boil.   Then lower the heat and simmer for about an hour or until you get a rich, creamy texture. 

Add the rosewater or rose syrup, and dried rose petals.  Simmer for a few minutes for the flavours to infuse, then serve garnished with the tasted almonds flakes. 

18 comments:

  1. That's really beautiful :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm sounds tasty:) I have only just recently learned to like rice pudding and I think with the rose water it really elevates the dish:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds absolutely delicious. I must buy some rosewater and give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much SKR :]


    Thanks Sarah - I guess its one of those dishes you need to be in the mood for, plus the weather has to be right for it too - can't imagine eating rice pudding in the Summer :)


    Thank you so much Jen.
    Rosewater is an acquired taste -so if you don't get on well with it, its also a good skin toner - but I am hoping you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love rice pudding, Think I would prefer raisin and apple to the rosewater. I alway think of a friend of my Grandmother's when I smell rosewater. She was lovely but I think she washed in the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cookie Jar - Haha, thats the kind of memories some popel associate with their grannies, except its lavender or violets.
    Do like the sound of apples and raisins. Think my husband would prefer it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the brown skin is the best bit! It must be over 20 years since I had it though. My brother and I used to take it in turns to have the bowl after and scrape off every last smidgen of brown crispy bit. Happy days :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nic, I'm so pleased to read that I am not the only one who did this as a child. Good memories eh. Hoe your well x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love rice pudding! We usually have it with raisins in the pudding, and nutmeg grated on top. The crispy bit is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark - raisins seems to be popular and nutmeg - how on earth could I forget nutmeg. Good to read that you like the crispy brown bit too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh this sounds delicious, I can never seem to find enough uses for rosewater, but I always have a bottle sitting in my cupboard. I just may try this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks lovely and sounds delish! I bet this would come out well with coconut milk. I have rosewater, but am usually using it for beverage application.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks jb.
    Lovely to make your acquaintance.


    Thanks CraftyEarthMama.
    Yes I am sure it would be fab with coconut milk.


    Thanks Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love rice pudding - even when we use to have it at school dinners with a dollop of jam. Because I am the only one who likes it now in my house (now all the kids have left and have homes of their own) I don't cook it much, so I order it when I am out. I have tried the flakes which I have cooked for the grandchildren from time to time but agree its not the same as pearls of rice. This with rosewater has enthused me to cook it just for me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Magnolia Verandah.
    I was never keen on school made, but always home-made! Shame noone else in your family likes rice pudding. Do make some - treat yourself! I am sure you can half the quantity of this recipe. Or make your own version.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look so warm and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you HeroCakePops. Lovely to make your acquaintance.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You