Thursday, 24 November 2011

Thai Green Root Vegetable Flan

I know this sounds like an unusual recipe; and it is  - its effectively a Thai -style Green Curry in a pastry base, still I was still a little curious to try it out and see if it worked.  What's more its made with root vegetables.  This is not  an egg set flan, but a little oozy when you slice into it.
Now having made this, I am not completely convinced it works well in the pastry base, so I am not going to try and persuade you to try it, unless of course you want too.  I will say this though, it tasted okay.  I particularly liked how the Thai curry flavours infused the parsnip.  I served this flan simply with some rice and green peas. 

Recipe for the Pastry
For a 8 - 9 inch round tin
For the shortcrust pastry
170g plain flour
A pinch of salt
85g cold butter
2 tablespoons cold water
Method for short crust pastry
Sift the flour with the salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add 2 tablespoons cold water to the mixture. Mix to a firm dough. It may be necessary to add more water. Chill, wrapped for at least 30 minutes before using.
Preheat oven to gas mark 6.  Roll out the pastry and use to line a 8- 9 inch round dish, then back blind.  Set aside to cool. 
Now make the filling.

Thai  Green Root Vegetable Filling
Serves 4 - 6
2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large onion, sliced
2 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoon plain flour
1 – 2 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
300ml vegetable stock
200ml milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 2 tablespoon fresh coriander, minced
Preheat oven to gas mark 6. 
Bring water to the boil and parboil the root vegetables until just tender.  Drain and set aside to cool. 
In a wide pan, heat the oil, then cook the onions until very soft.  Add the flour to make a roux, stirring well.  Add the curry paste, the stock and the milk.  Bring to a gentle boil, until the mixture begins to thicken a little.  Season with salt and pepper to taste and then stir in the vegetables and coriander if using. 
Pour this into the pastry case and bake for 30 minutes. Adapted from Another Dinner is Possible.


  1. I like the idea of the thai green vegetables, but not in the pastry. Parsnips are great for picking up flavour.

  2. It's a great idea for a dinner with my friends....

  3. Your pastry always looks so flaky and tempting.

    It's interesting...never thought about Thai flavors with parsnip but can see why they would marry well..I used to think parsnips had a cinnamon smell and taste....

    Beautiful photos...your fluted pan gives such a great presentation with the color of the root veg.

  4. It's a very interesting filling, something different and tasty for tarts. I know it's difficult for me to find thay curry paste and parsnips as well, but I can eat virtually yours.
    Have a nice day!

  5. can't beat a bit of oozy!!

    Sue xx

  6. interesting recipe...& thai green curry is definately good with rice..:) have a great weekend,Shaheen..:)

  7. I understand Cookie Jar - I don't think I'll be makign this combination again, though am tempted to try is in a puff pastry like a Cornish Pasty.

    Thank you so, so much Artù

    Thank you Gardeningbren.
    I have a couple of shortcrust pastry recipes that i use that have always worked for me, and so far I have always been making it by hand. I know some people struggle makign it from scratch, but I have a knack for it - must be my cold hands.

    The parsnip really does pick up the Thai flavors, There is def. a sweetness about parsnips and I see what you mean about a cinnamon smell :)

  8. Thanks Fabipasticcio.
    I so agree it was an interesting filling. Sorry to read that you have difficuly accessing these ingredients, it was same here in the U.K until a few good years ago - but parsnips, parsnips are soooo British - a Christmas dinner plate would not be complete without it.
    Have a nice day too!

    Thanks Sue
    - the oozy part was good for the rice,

    Thank you Hang Kebon.
    You have a good weekend too:)

  9. I think maybe adding an egg to the mixture would help, taking away some of the liquid. Still, I think I shall try the vegetables with the curry mix - I have been buying it for years in Tesco and before that in Budgen, if you have heard of them. I think it was always easier to buy it in the South. I made your kohl rabi fritters last night, by the way - delicious.

  10. Thank you Jane Rowena.
    Its unlikely that i will be making this again, well in a tart at least so the egg addition may not happen now.

    I have a Thai Green Curry recipe on my blog if you interested, this one was devised for the tart.

    I have heard of Budgen, but don' think I have ever seen a shop in Scotland.

    I am so pleased to read that the kohlrabi fitters turned out good for you. Thanks for letting me know. If you had a blog, I would have linked it to your blog.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You