Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Red Chilli Spiced Brussels Sprouts Pasta

A very easy peasy pasta dish for lunch. 

I actually liked how the sprouts supped up the flavours from the infused garlicky chilli olive oil .  This mellowed the bitterness of the sprouts making it both sweet and spicy. 
Inspiration for this pasta dish came from two fellow bloggers Mark Willis and Plummy Mummy at Chili Paper Chains who suggested using chilli with it. As a spice head, I don't know why I did not think of it and now I have a number of ideas coming my way - one obviously being a Indian curry style dish and the other - deep fried like pakoras.  I am really liking the idea of Brussels Sprouts Pakoras - maybe this weekend!    

I am sharing this at Presto Pasta Nights #242. PPN was founded by Ruth Daniels of Once Upon a Feast and each Friday night a different host posts a roundup of pasta dishes submitted by bloggers from around the world. However this week, PPN is being hosted by Ruth.

Red Chilli Spiced Brussels Sprouts Pasta
Serves 2
Cook penne pasta for 2 people.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a wide pan, then add in a medium onion that has been finely sliced.  Cook slowly stirring occasionally, until soft and caramelised.  Then stir in sprouts that have been quartered, 2 cloves of minced garlic and chilli flakes to taste.  Cook on medium heat until the sprouts are just tender and golden brown.  Season with salt and pepper.  
Stir in the drained pasta,   drizzle with extra olive oil and serve immediately. 


  1. We've found ways to make B. sprouts that we are crazy about too. This looks really great. Like the spice.

  2. Brussels Sprouts with chilli and pasta - who would have thought!? Sounds like an awesome combination. Will try it this weekend. Thank for the recipe!

  3. That's my girl! Glad you liked the chilli addition. lots of people say they don't like sprouts only because they have never had any that have been cooked well. Crunchy sprouts are horrible, and overcooked ones are worse, but those that are just right are wonderful. [Thanks for the mention, BTW]

  4. Now that does look yummy. Going to go get some sprouts tomorrow xx

  5. Welcome back! We've been missing your great pastas. This one sounds heavenly! I love Brussels sprouts but never thought of doing this with them. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

  6. You can't go wrong with brussels sprouts! this looks like a lovely, simple meal

  7. Such a quick and delicious meal! Haven't had my first sprouts yet, but now that you remind me ...
    I never had the combination with chili either, so I can't wait to try it :)

  8. This sounds absolutely delicious! Also, it's a great way to sneak in the brussel sprouts. . .

  9. I'll have to give this a go the next time I buy sprouts. I am enjoying learning there is more to do with them than hide them under mash!

  10. Looks really nice - I think that I'd add some olives - perhaps to detract from the sprouts a bit - I like them but very much in moderation..... I must say the older I get the more I find that there are very few foods that aren't enhanced by a bit of chilli, salt and garlic.....

  11. This looks delicious, what a great way to use sprouts!

  12. Thanks Stephen.
    Look forward to seeing some of your recipes with BS.

    Thank you Crispy.
    I do hope you like!

    Thank you so much Mark Willis :)
    It frankly was quite nice and the BS neither
    crunchy or overcooked. You are absolutely welcome regarding the mention, its my pleasure.

  13. Thanks Plummy Mummy.
    I' wonder what you will be doing with them :)

    Thank you so much Ruth.
    I'm pleased to read that you love Brussels sprouts, so hope maybe you will try this recipe.

    Thank you jb.

  14. Thank you Torwen.
    Def. time for sprouts :)
    I hope you enjoy this recipe when you make it it :)

    Thank you Ingrid.
    Well I have to say the BS do look more appealing this way, well to me they do :)

    Thank you e.
    Your so funny hiding them under mash, you see I still couldn't eat that mash.

    Thanks Liz.
    Adding some black olives would be great!
    Re getting older comment - I agree I am finding that toox

    Thank you Heather.

  15. This sounds great and one that I am definitely going to try. My brussels on the allotment have all blown, but I could use them in this dish quite easily, no waste, perfect! Thanks xxx

  16. Hi Fran,
    Blown sprouts - ah I remember that happening to me. I'm hoping to explore sprouts a bit more in the next couple of months so stay tuned for recipes. Also agree, this recipe will be fine for your homegrown sprouts :) I agree no waste.

  17. Wow... I love the recipes here, they're exactly my kind of cooking. I enjoy sprouts, but my lady does not. And yet she loves chillies. *ding* Your pasta dish seems to have given me a lightbulb moment!

    Hope you get chance to try the beetroot soup - all the other flavours definitely mellow out the earthiness if you're not big on beets.

  18. Thank you so much Matthew.
    Its very kind of you to say so and your comment is most appreciated.
    You must try this simple recipe on your lady, I liked it and I don't particulary like sprouts (eek) but I try to eat them when in season.

    I do have some beetroot here, but its booked for another recipe. I will keep in mind your
    beetroot soup - its all the other flavours that appeal to me.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You