Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Potato and Peas Frittata

Have you noticed the accidental green and creamy white theme on my blog recently?!
And just as I post this blog post, I notice that I've typed 'frittata' in the blog header, whereas it should have read 'tortilla' - a thick flat omelette made with potatoes and eggs.  Oh well, its done now. 

ThisTortilla is made with the last of my homegrown potatoes; and peas from the freezer. 
Of course, its excellent warm for Brunch, but I think it would also be very good served cold, either for a working lunch or for when you are on the move.      

Potato and Peas Tortilla
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
4 - 6 medium potatoes, thinly sliced (preferably with a mandolin)

Salt and pepper to taste
Handful of frozen peas, defrosted
5 eggs, beaten
Method
Heat oil in a frying pan measuring about 9 inches with high sides. Heat oil, add the onion and cook until soften, then add in the potatoes and cook for about 10 - 15 minutes until they are beginning to soften and turn golden, flipping them now and again. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the peas and stir for a couple of minutes to evenly distribute the peas. Gently pour in the eggs, reduce the heat and allow to set. When it appears set and no longer soft in the middle. Cover the frying pan with a plate or lid and invert the potato tortilla over onto the plate or lid. Then gently slide the upturned potato tortilla back into the frying pan. Increase the heat and cook the tortilla for a few more minutes. Transfer the potato tortilla onto a large serving plate and serve slices either warm or at room temperature.

16 comments:

  1. This looks delish and super filling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifurla.
    It sure is, all that is needed is some brown sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was thinking that the other day. Not so much about the green and creamy on your page but the orange and brown on mine! I think that's just what happens when you cook with in season & whole foods in the fall/winter. it's all we got!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thansk Kristy.
    Yeah I had a lot of orange and brown last month. I think it will start appearing again, with the root vegetable around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that does look tasty. What type of potatoes did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what Plummy Mummy - I can't remember the name of them. They are a waxy potato though, not the floury kind that are good for roasties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, so if that is a Tortilla, you had better tell us ignoramuses how it differs from a Frittata!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now don't quote me on this Mark, but I think the main difference between the two is that a tortilla is cooked competely in the pan and then flipped over to cook evenly on the other side. Whereas the frittata is often finished off by baking it in the oven or under a hot grill. Also the eggy aspect seems to be more prominent in a frittata than in a tortilla, where the eggs are really there to bind the potatoes together. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Shaheen, I almost believe I can eat peas! They look so very pretty, the green against the white. And of course, I love potatoes..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Pia.


    Thanks Sumaiyyah,
    I'm so glad you like - everyone should like potato and peas :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just wish I lived with you... your creative culinary blog brings me so much joy... thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make tortilla a lot - but now reading your comments I should be calling it fritatta as I finish it in the oven...I've never made one from home grown potatoes though - hopefuly until this year (I usually exclusively grow salad potatoes but this year I have everything..cross fingers).

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious. I love the flavors in this meal. I bet I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

    That's tomorrow's supper then!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Mary.


    Glad you like Chris.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You