Saturday, 12 November 2011

Fruited Clementine Scone Bread

This is really a scone gone wrong recipe.  The wet mixture salvaged by pouring it into a loaf tin to create a fruited bread instead; and my oh my it turned out pretty well.
The original scone recipe from Lucy The Kitchen Maid uses an orange, but as I had a bowl of tart clementines in the fruit bowl, I decided to replace them  in the recipe.  The clementines were a tad bitter, but they worked well next to the natural sweetness from the sultanas and the delicate orange flavours in the background.
A generous wedge of this bread was sliced and toasted and then generously buttered - it was lovely for breakfast.
As requested here is the adapted recipe.  I would like to point out, I cannot find the scrap paper where I converted the cups to grams and ml, so the recipe for the time being will be in cups.
Fruited Clementine Scone Bread
Makes 2 x 2lb loaves
Ingredients 3 cups plain flour
2tablepoons baking powder
pinch of salt
1 cup sultanas

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1generous tablespoon golden syrup
1 egg
½ cup milk
1 cup real orange juice
2 clementines, peeled and roughly chopped

Preheat the oven to gas mark 6 and line loaf tins with parchment paper.
Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl, then stir through the sultanas.

Whisk the remaining ingredients together in a jug, then stir in the chopped Clementine pieces.  Carefully pour this thick liquid mixture slowly into the dry ingredients.  What you are trying to achieve is a loose light batter, so you may not need all of the liquid.  When the mixture is well combined,  pour the batter evenly into the loaf tins.
Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until golden and firm on the top. Leave to cool briefly, then slice and enjoy plain or with butter. 

Adapted from Lucy’s Date and Orange Scones.


  1. New recipes are often the result of "mistakes". Have you heard of "Betises de Cambrai"? (Google it, if not...)

  2. oh that's my kind of bread. I love anything with raisins in that can be toasted and covered in butter!

  3. This looks really delicious!!! I can't wait for the recipe!

  4. That looks incredible! Waiting impatiently for the recipe! ;-)

  5. You have created a whole new recipe - I bet you make this again.

  6. This looks so always!

    I made your lentil and roots soup this week, and wrote about it on my was SO GOOD! I wanted to thank you for the recipe. Thank You!!

  7. Well rescued!
    I tried my version of the Sengalese tomato was delish! Though, next time I will purchase some pure peanut butter, I only had a supermarkets' own and it was crunchy. I blitzed it with the stick blender and it marginally improved the texture. Also, I didn't have any peanut oil, used some walnut oil instead!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    Sandie xx

  8. That looks good, can't wait for a recipe! :)

  9. I've never thought to a bread with clementines!! But also with orange! It should be really special!

    Have a nice sunday!

  10. It looks delicious. Now when can I have the recipe?

  11. Thank you so much Mark.
    I had not heard of "Betises de Cambrai" - now I have. Thank you for sharing. Yes, it certainly was interesting :) and made me smile.

    Thank you Nic.
    Good to hear from you. It actually has sultanas in it, but would also work well with raisins.

    Thank you so, so much Fred.
    Its so good to hear from you.

    Thank you Fran.
    No need to wait, I've posted it now

  12. Thank you Magnolia Verandah.
    Yes, I certainly have.

    Thank you Ajax.
    Oh I am so pleased to read that you made the
    Lentil and roots stew; and even delighted to read that it was enjoyed! I will link it from the original to your variation later today, I hope that's okay with you.

    Thank you Kari.
    Just posted the recipe!

    Thank you so much Sandie.
    OOh I am so pleased that you made a variaiton of the Senegalese peanut butter and tomato soup.

    I didn't mind the crunchy peanut butter, so I guess its just matter of taste.

    PS I am dissapointed to see that you still can't seem to post under your own name :(

  13. Thank you Sooz.
    Recipe is now posted :)

    Thanks CookingNaLa.
    It was refreshing.
    Hope your having a good sunday too!

    Thank you Scott.
    The recipe is posted.

    Thanks Cookie Jar.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You