Sunday, 27 November 2011

Brussels Sprouts and Blue CheeseTart

Yes this is virtually the same Brussels Sprouts and Shallots I made about two weeks ago, albeit with some minor modifications and a little more prettier in presentation (if you can say that about sprouts), but I put my hands up in my defence -  I really did not want to make it again - more bitter and niffy sprouts - no way.  However the man in the house who doesn't mind them so much, picked up a Brussels Sprouts tree.   I think it was his sneaky ploy to get me to eat more of them.  I  plucked the tightly wrapped balls of green off the stalk and chucked them into a bowl.  I just couldn't get my creative juices flowing on the day - so it ended up being savoury tart again!

A day or two later, some inspiration starting coming to me .... as well as suggestions by number of fellow bloggers.
So I must forewarn you in advance, I'll be featuring a number of recipes this week with Brussels sprouts, not that I love sprouts but because of the Brussels Sprouts tree that was purchased.  So you may not want to come by if you dislike sprouts with a passion, though my aim this week is to try and persuade you and myself to try other recipes with these mighty green nuggets.
I am submitting a slice of this Brussels Sprouts Tart to Ren Behan at Fabulicious Food who is hosting Novembers edition of Simple And In Season.

Brussels Sprouts and Blue Cheese Tart
For shortcrust pastry - follow here for the pastry recipe.
Blind bake the pastry tart tin and set aside.
Serves 4 – 6
Ingredients for the filling
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and slice
2 cloves garlic, sliced
300g Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved
2 eggs, beaten
120ml milk
100g blue cheese, crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Preheat the oven to gas mark 5.
Heat the oil in a wide pan, then add in the onions and cook slowly until soft and caramelised, then stir in the sprouts and garlic and cook for until the sprouts and shallots are just tender and golden brown.
In a measuring jug, add the milk, and beat eggs, about 80g of the blue cheese and season with pepper and a little salt to taste.
Spread the soft caramelised onions at the bottom of the tart, then top with the sprouts – either cut side up or cut side down – it is your choice. Pour over the liquid mixture, then top with remaining cheese and bake in the oven for 35–40 minutes, until set and a little golden on top.

10 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of brussels sprouts but would honestly love to try a slice of this. It looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those Brussels Sprout "trees" - the sprouts keep so much better, and they are always fresh when you need them (unlike some of the dried-up specimens you see in the supermarkets).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Brussels sprouts and so do my husband and son (well, my son is not all that keen,but he eats them if they are very well hidden). I bought a lot of them, as well as shallots. I will try to arrange a tart like this one. Bravo!
    Good night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am part of the minority that loves sprouts! This is a wonderful way to use them. I look forward to seeing your other ideas later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sprouts so will be very interested in what you come up with. This tart is a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Rosetta.


    Thanks Baking Addict, I am so pleased to read you comment. This tart was okay, honestly!


    Thanks Mark.
    I agree that the sprouts keep better attached to the "trees", but they are not always available at supermarkets, so at times we have to make do with whats available to us :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Fabipasticcio.
    Good to hear of a family who does not mind, in fact 'loves eating' Brussels sprouts :)
    I do hope you enjoy this recipe, i didn't midn it that much.



    Thanks Hazel - its good to read that many o fy readers are part of the minority that loves sprouts! I still have to be converted, but I can just about eat them - begrudgingly.


    Thanks Magnolia.
    You won't have to wait long. So pleased you like the tart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds lovely - I love brussels sprouts - but I appreciate they are not for everyone - I think that blue cheese would pair well with their strong flavours

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Johanna.
    I'm quite surprised to learn that your a fan of sprouts - not sure why I thought you would dislike them though :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You