Friday, 25 November 2011

Golden Bowl of Swede

This thick, almost velvety golden bowl of Swede Soup was made in the same manner as the Chilli Spiked Roasted Pumpkin Soup, but we didn't enjoy it the same.
Something was missing, it lacked depth.  I think this soup needs body and would be helped with a proper soup base made from onions, carrots and celery.  I know for next time, still it looked pretty good that I had to share it.  And of course it wasn't wasted.  Like it or not, we did manage to finish it with some home made machine crusty bread.
If you still want to try it for yourself, here is the recipe of sorts. 

Simply peel and chop a medium Swede into small cubes. Toss it with a little olive oil and bake in the oven at Gas mark 5. Roast for about 45 minutes or until soft and tender. Then tip it all into a food processor; or food blender, along with some vegetable stock, about 1 pint to 1½ pint and add some salt and pepper. Blend to a puree. Return to the pot and reheat.


  1. Nutmeg is great for bringing out the flavour of swede.

  2. Yes, sometimes we fail. But it's a great feeling when we can learn from this experience and make a better choice next time. Haha, I'm being philosophical here. :) I have failed many times while cooking. By the way, I recently tried quinoa for the very first time. I liked it! Do you have any vegan recipes with quinoa?

  3. The soup looks delicious. Forgive my ignorance but what is a Swede?? I know I can Google it but this way is more fun! I have left over sweet potatoes from our Thanksgiving and a butternut squash in the pantry, I'm thinking of mixing the two with some broth and seasoning and having a thick soup for dinner.

  4. MMMMMM soup Love it no matter how simple. Here in New England we call it rutabaga.It's my husbands favorite. We often mix it with mash potato just to make it a bit different.So versatile and so available this time of year. Yesterday was Thanksgiving in U.S. and of course it was on the table.

  5. Swede? What is that? I will only see your reply if you send it to

  6. We all try something that isn't exactly what we wanted but usually know how to fix it for the next time. I can see were the vegetable stock could have a bearing on the flavor and to me if you don't start with the basics of celery, onions and carrots in a soup it will be lacking in most cases and also there were no herbs or spices that might have helped.

  7. This looks great! I absolutely love swede! The only thing that does my head in is all the chopping!

    Love Zoe x
    Life of a Vegetarian Girl

  8. I'm going to have to ask (and then probably kick myself): who is the bloke in the background of the pic?

  9. Yes I have made some things and thought emmmmm.......... might not bother cooking that again. Still it was probably good for you and as you say nothing wasted. It looked good though.

  10. Thank Cookie Jar.
    I'll try nutmeg with Swede one of these days.

    Thanks Lela.
    Yes, we certainly do but like you said its good to at least be able to learn from the experience and make a better choice next time :) Ah so you have tried Quinoa - I am not completely liking it, but when mixed in things yeah I don't mind it. Follow this link for some of my Quinoa recipes. There are some vegan one here.

    Thanks Glo.
    Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.
    See this link for a picutre of Swede.
    You may know Swede as Rutabaga.
    Take care.

    Thanks Hobbit.
    I hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

  11. Thanks StephenC.
    Hopefully you will come by and see my reply, but I will try and e mail you too - you may know Swede as a Rutabagsa.

    Thanks Wilderness.
    I certainly know for next time :)

    Thank you Zoe.
    Lovely to hear from youx

    Hi Liz, Its Woody Guthrie. So are you virtually kicking yourself :) ?

  12. Virtually, literately and figuratively - if its possible to do all 3 at once without bruising.

  13. Liz

    What can I say to that :)

  14. It certainly looks good. I love swedes, it is a pity they are so underrated (the girl at the cashier didn't even know what kind of vegetable it is). I will follow your advice and add some other veggies, maybe also a floury potato, since swedes are not that starchy.

  15. Thanks Torwen.
    I hope you like it. I do have a lot of other swede recipes on my blog if your interested - just do a search. Take care.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You