Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Brussels Sprout and Mushroom Ragout

I know looking down in this cooking pot may not fill you up with much excitement, it didn't excite me either and I am the one cooking it.  But its what you serve with it.  I served this ragout  over mashed potatoes.  The shallots and the sprouts serve as the two veg on the plate, and the chestnut mushrooms - the 'meat'.  The vegetable stock also plays its part, as it simmers away it absorbs the flavours from the vegetables, becoming a good light gravy. 

If potato mash does not float your boat, then perhaps some parsley dumplings; or a cobbler topping may tempt you to try this recipe.  

Brussels Sprout and Mushroom Ragout
Serves 4
350ml vegetable stock
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 shallots, peeled
500g Brussels Sprouts, halved
2 garlic cloves, minced
300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
350ml vegetable stock
4 tablespoons parsley, minced
Heat the oil in a wide non stick pan.  Add the shallots and cook over medium heat, stirring now and again.  Once the shallots begin to brown, stir in the sprouts and sauté until they begin to soften a little.  Then add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes or so.   Pour in the stock and bring to a boil, when it comes to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer for a few minutes.  Adapted from Deborah Madison’s Vegetarian Suppers.
For the optional toppings
For Parsley Dumpling Recipe - Follow here
For Scone or Cobbler Recipe - Follow here 


  1. Looks intersting. Chestnuts can be hard to find here.

    Thank you for the link with your stew.

  2. Sorry about getting my mushrooms and chestnuts mixed up. moral of the story is don't try to type while the budgie is trying to pull out your ear ring.

  3. Am I too weird if I say I love all these vegetables together???
    Good night

  4. This post reminds me that when I was a kid, I hated Brussels Sprouts and would only eat them if I could hide them beneath something else on the plate. My favourite hiding place was a good serving of mash...

    I've grown to tolerate them without the mash these days.
    Hope you're doing well, Shaheen.

  5. Hi Shaheen..good n healthy recipe...maybe u can add some carrots or red n yellow peppers to give this dish some color :)

  6. Thank you Cookie Jar.
    Is okay about the mistake, I've made similar mistakes int he past with ingredients.

    Your absolutely welcome re the link x The pleasure is really mine, as I am always well chuffed when someone cooks from my blog. Its always interesting to see how dishes turn out in other peoples homes :)

    And that Budgie of yours - trying to pull out your earring - don't you find that idistracting.

    :) Fabipasticcio.
    Not at all :)

  7. Hi e.
    So funny to read that you ate sprouts only when disguised :)
    Like you I've grown to tolerate them, but they do have to be cooked a certain way.

    Thanks for asking about me doing well too , much appreciated. Too be honest there is a dark cloud hovering over me that just does not seem to be shifting, life seems to be moving in a depressingly slow motion, but I try too much not too think about it. Hard when its your life. Thanks so much for asking though - means a lot.

    Thanks HangKebon.
    I agree about this dishing having more colour - carrots is a good suggestion - maybe next time.

  8. This would be great on our Thanksgiving table :)

  9. Thanks CraftyEarthMama.
    I agree.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You