Friday, 4 November 2011

Root Vegetable Casserole with Chive Dumplings

We seem to be locked in between seasons here in Scotland.  Its no longer autumn, but its not quite yet winter either.  Still nothing stopping us from tucking into some hearty rooty food: carrots, turnips and parsnips; and listening to the fireworks going off early in the distant background. 
Other than the roasting of the parsnips in the oven, this is pretty much a one pot meal.  The vegetable stock becomes a thick flavour packed gravy.  Most of the vegetables still have a bit of bite, except for the shallots and the dumplings that just melt.  The vegetable stock becomes a thick flavour packed gravy. Serve this casserole in large bowls with extra garnishing of freshly chopped chives.
There is a similar recipe on my blog which comes from Rachel Demuth, however this one is adapted from Nadine Abensur.  The chive herb dumplings here are made with cheese and extremely comforting, but if you wish you can also make them vegan, see here.  I am linking this to this weeks Friday Food hosted by Mom Trends.

Root Vegetable Casserole with Chive Herb Dumplings
Serves 4
Ingredients
300g medium parsnips, cut length ways into 4.
6 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
12 small shallots
4 garlic cloves, sliced
350g carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
300g baby turnips, cut into half
200g chestnut mushrooms, cut into half
550ml flavourful vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1 ½ teaspoon cornflour
For the chive dumplings
125g self-raising flour
60g Cheddar, grated
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (or parsley)
60g butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Pre-heat the oven to its highest setting.  Toss the parsnips with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with a little salt and pepper and roast for about 25 minutes, until golden brown.  When they are down, , take them out and set them aside.
Heat the remaining oil in a large, heavy bottomed casserole pan.  Add the shallots and garlic and fry for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the carrots and turnips and sauté for about 6-8 minutes, then add the mushrooms and sauté for a couple of minutes. 
Meanwhile, make the dumpling mixture.  Lightly mix all the ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.  Add about a tablespoon and a half of water to bring it together to make a soft dough.  Form into 12 – 16 small balls and set aside.
Add the vegetable stock to the vegetables, along with the bay leaf, and let the stew bubble steadily for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Now dissolve the cornflour in a little hot water, then add it to the stew and boil to thicken.
As soon as it has thickened, place the dumplings in gently , so that they are about three-quarters immersed.  Cover with a lid and simmer slowly for 20 minutes, until the dumplings are risen and the stew looks rich and the vegetables are meltingly soft.  Scatter the parsnips over the top and serve.  Adapted from the brilliant The Cranks Bible by Nadine Abensur.

19 comments:

  1. Just the thing for the the cold evening ahead. All I have to do is drop into the allotment and pull up the parsnips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifurla.


    Thanks Cookie Jar.
    I hope your homegrown parsnips are good, every time I've grown them they have always been forked, but still edible and flavourful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a really nice dish. Of course, many of us might like to serve some meat with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark,
    I really think this is a filling one pot meal as it is, no need for chunky bread either - but of course, your most welcome to serve it with meat; or even throw in some chunks to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo dumplings sound so good right now! Do you think this would taste good with other root veggies, like of I did sweet potato, potato and carrots?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carissa,
    Yes - I certainly think other root veggies would be fine. Happy eating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it too cruel to say YAY its 30 degrees here today and although this looks lovely I think I'll have salad for dinner? I do like the idea of those dumplings though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I would call a very comforting vegetable stew. Love to make dumplings. I enjoy seeing what others are eating and many times try them. I will have to look into this Friday Meal Blog. I try to get some cooking into my growing and cooking but it has basically been growing lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking that I needed inspiration for a lovely 1 pot meal & I thought, I must see on Shaheen's blog for a few ideas,because your recipes never fail me! Never! This dish looks truly appetizing & I must make this tomorrow!

    I love these dumplings for added flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz.
    Yeah its a little mean, but fair point :)
    I've barely had salad this year, as its been wet, wet, wet.


    Thank you.


    Thank you Wilderness.
    We'll be tucking into a lot more of these styles of meals now that winter has kicked in.
    With the growing comes the preserving and cooking of food, hope you find some inspring ideas on blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much Sophie, for your really kind and heart warming comment. I do hope you make it tomorrow and hopefully, you will like it. The dumplings are ace!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm this looks great! I'm loving having parsnips back in the kitchen, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Hannah.
    There was once a time, I did not care for parsnip - I just foudn them too sweet for a root veg, but now when the season comes - I appreciate them more - so yeah - I am glad to see them back, but with the parsnips comes the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmm this looks great, always on the look out for more veggie recipes. Will have to give this a try. I'm a big fan of Rachel Demuths. I was lucky enough to go to one of her cookery courses. I don't live to far from Bath so we've been to her restaurant a few times, she really is inspiring. Great site will be back for more tasty tips.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks wellywoman.
    Do give this a try. Rachel Demuth is an inspiring cook and so are her cookbooks, very down to earth. I am fortunate to have her as one of my followers. I've not been to her restaurant, but I am sure I will oneday. I've read of some bloggers going on her cookery course being excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love such one pot meals and with cheesy dumplings it becomes all the more comforting. Would try it with some other veggies as we don't get a few here in India.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Sangeeta.
    I hope you get to try it with the veggies you can find. And I do hope you like.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My veg box had parsnips, carrots and onions, this looks just what I was looking for. I will make my grandma's wartime dumplings - wholemeal flour, baking powder, 1/4 weight of fat to flour and twice that weight of grated raw potato - I will add a little marmite to the water to mix and the chives. Delish!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You