Sunday, 8 May 2011

Chickpea and Chive Dumpling Soup

Most of the U.K is enjoying bursts of sunshine, but not those of us living in the West of Scotland.  A dark cloud has been hanging over us since Thursday, bursting its clouds on and off like a tap.

So instead of staring out of the raindrop splashed windows, shaking my fists at the pouring skies.  I decided to make a soup to calm me down.  An hour or so later, this soupy-stewy bowl of chickpeas topped with soft doughy dumplings landed on the table. 
These dumplings were made with chives from my own garden.  This recipe was given to me by our hosts when I was in Brittany last year.  The original recipe dumplings are made from cheese and milk, but I've stuck with those made from vegetable suet.  For those of you interested in the cheesy version.  I have written the recipe below too.  Oh by the way this Herb and Spices tea towel is also from All Tea Towels.
Chickpea and Chive Dumpling Soup
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
½ - 1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 x 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
800ml vegetable stock
2 x 400g can tomatoes, chopped
Ingredients for the Chive Dumplings
110g self-raising flour
50g vegetable suet
1 tablespoon of minced fresh chives
Salt and pepper to taste
Cold water to combine
Optional: Extra chives, chopped for garnishing.
Method
Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion over medium heat until soft. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, and chilli and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer covered for 15 - 20 minutes. Then stir in the chickpeas and top with the dumplings
Method for the Dumplings
In a bowl add flour, vegetables suet, chives and seasoning to taste. Add enough water to combine and make a firm, not sticky dough. Then with floured hands, break the dough into 8 – 12 pieces and roll them into rough round dumplings. Add them gently to the stew, pushing them down into the liquid. Simmer gently for 15 minutes or until the dumplings have doubled in size. Serve in large bowls topped with dumplings and optional scattering of fresh chives. OR
Parmesan Herb Dumplings
125g self raising flour,
25g butter, chopped
2 tablespoons Parmesan, grated
2 tablespoons mixed herbs
60ml milk
Method
Sift the flour into a bowl and add the chopped butter.  Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the cheese and mixed fresh herbs.  Make a well in the centre, dd the milk and mix with a flat bladed knife until just combined.  Bring the dough together into a rough ball, divide into 8 portions and roll into small balls.  Add the dumplings to the soup, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

11 comments:

  1. Ooh, this looks good. I'm always up for new recipes with chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great, but what a shame that you have to be making warming soups like this in May. Roll on the Vichyssoise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasty. Just perfect for this wet, dreich weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks great! Definitely a good match for dark and rainy weather :) I hope you get some sunshine soon, but I'll be tucking this recipe away for our Australian winter - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did happen to be admiring your tea towel - and your soup - sounds like the sort of thing to make you enjoy some dreich weather - but hope there is some spring sunshine soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I wish! But with cholesterol levels like mine I daren't eat dumplings. (I'm one of those people whose body turns even good cholesterol into the bad version......) So I shall just drool over the pictures. :(

    Auntie Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you yummychunklet.


    Thanks Mark Willis.

    Yes, its a shame. Work on the leaking roof has commenced, but halted as soon as the rain came pouring down,hence the reason I began feelign miserable. Fingers crossed it gets done today.

    I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of cold soups, with Polish Borscht being the only cold soup I've ever tried, so I guess its time to try another cold soup and perhaps have my mind changed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jacqueline.
    Sorry to read that its raining in Dundee too
    :(


    Thank you so much Kari.
    :)
    The sunshine is peekign through this morning, but thunder storms are predicted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Johanna GGG.
    I saw your teatowel post. It was a wonderful heartfelt read. Thank you so much for linking to my blog. The sunshine has come out, but sadly I don't think it is for too long. I am hoping it lasts for at least 6 hours so the leaking roof repair work can be completed.


    Thank you MorningAJ.
    i'm sorry to read that you won't be tucking into this soup. You know you can maki it without the dumplings if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks fab! Soups and stews are my favourite. I have a can of chickpeas, so after grocery shopping tomorrow I'd like to make this! In York the weather is a little bit more favourable though, we are getting glimpses of sunshine!

    I'm sorry to hear that you've made unemployed, I can't imagine how frustrating/upsetting that must be. Hope you're well xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Zoe.
    I remember you once mentioning that you liked stews, so I'm pleased to read you like this one :)

    I'm back in WoS and the winds are 70mph, it predicted that trees will have fallen in this part of Scotland tomorrow morning! Hope not.

    Thanks for your kind words re my recent unemployment. Trying to remain optimistic, something will hopefully come through.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You