Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Carrots in a Poppy seed Flan

You will know when I have too much time on my hands, when I start playing with my food.  Something my father would disapprove of, but I hope he will forgive me this time as I'm just looking for a little sunshine and some smiles.
The sliced carrots in this savoury Carrot flan represent bursts of sun ray; maybe even petals from a flower.  This Carrot Parsley Flan recipe is based on a Rainbow Carrot and Runner Bean Flan I made a couple of years ago with home grown vegetables.  I've made one change to the pastry, I added some poppy seeds for texture, it was a pleasant change from a plain pasty crust. 
This is a very light flan, so is best served with some Spring vegetables such as Jersey New Potatoes, spring onions and peas.
Carrot and Parsley in a Poppy seed Flan
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients for the Poppy seed Pastry
225g plain flour
Pinch of salt
125g unsalted butter, diced
1 teaspoon black poppy seeds
2 – 3 tablespoons cold water
Method for the Poppy seed pastry
I made my pastry by hand, but for ease you can also use a food processor.
Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.  Add the butter, then rub it into the flour with your fingertips, lifting the mixture high out of the bowl to incorporate air to make the pastry light.  Continue until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs, then gently work in the poppy seeds, distributing the poppy seeds evenly.  Then add water, a tablespoons at a time to form a soft dough. Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead gently for a minute or two until smooth.  Roll the pastry out thin enough to line the base and sides of the tin. Carefully lift the pastry into the tin, press it into the sides. Preheat oven to gas mark 4. Blind bake the pastry until firm and lightly coloured. Optional: Trim the overlapping pastry now or when the dish is completely cooked

For the Carrot and Parsley filling
Serves 4 – 6
Ingredients
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 - 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut in half or 6 baby carrots
Handful of fresh parsley, stalks removed and leaves minced
150ml milk
1 medium egg
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Soften onion in olive oil without browning for about 10 minutes, then add the carrots and cook until tender.  Remove the carrots from the pan.   Whisk the milk with the egg, add the cooked onions, parsley and season to taste. Arrange the carrots in the flan base.  Then pour the egg-onion mixture into the flan case. Bake on gas mark 5 for 30 – 35 minutes until set.  Allow to cool. You can do this part when you have blind baked the pastry, these days I prefer to remove the overlapping pastry crust when the flan is completely cooked.

18 comments:

  1. I like the whimsy in the placement of the carrots. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that your recipes are so original and different from the norm :-)

    My husband likes poppy seeds on almost everything, so I'm sure he would enjoy this crust!

    Brenda @ MyBackyardFarmyard

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazingly healthy, and easy to prepare. The carrots in the sun rays look uncannily like the ones I prepare when I cook whole baby carrots by tossing them in a pan until brown.. and then sprinkling with some ground pepper! Saving this Carrot flan recipe of yours to try out over the weekend. Many thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the presentation, great dish, great flavours ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice recipe :)
    I like the idea of putting poppy seed into the dough. And it's a lovely display with carrot spokes! As long as the playing results in such appetizing food, I think it's completely o.k. to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks absolutely GORGEOUS! I can't wait to get some fresh carrots from my local farmer's market so I can try. I've even got some fancy poppy seeds I've been dying to use. Thanks so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This just looks fabulous. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carrot flan! How did you come up with such a thing? Genius. I've got to try something like this soon. Thanks for stopping by my blog, otherwise I never would have found yours and this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your beautiful carrot flan is a show stopper. The way you have arranged the carrots allows those lovely slices that are so pretty on the plate. And poppy seeds are a very nice addition to the crust.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flan is so lovely! Thanks for visiting my blog :) You have a wonderful space and the photography is gorgeous! Lot to learm from you :) I am following you and would ike to invite you to follow me too if you like !

    http://personalfoodjournal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet that tastes as good as it looks!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you yummychunklet.



    Thank you so much Brenda of My Backyard Farmyard.
    :-)
    Even if you have a different filling, please do make the crust



    Thank you so much Jane.
    It did feel healthy eating it.
    Please let me know how you find it if you do get roudn to making it this weekend.


    Thank you Ana Powell

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Torwen.
    :)



    Thanks KLP.
    Fresh and local carrots do make a difference, hope you find some at your local farmer's market. Please let me know if you make this and how it turns out :)


    Thank you so much Duchess_declutter.



    Thank you foodfeud.
    For coming by and repaying the compliment.
    The flan is an adaptation of a recipe I've made before.
    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2009/08/almost-pretty-as-picture.html
    The presentation was, well ...me being arty ...well sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Cathy.



    Thank you so much Food Glorious Food for repaying the compliment by coming by and then choosing to become a follower, it is very kind of you. I am so pleased that you like the look of this savoury flan :)

    I am looking forward to reading your blog and your culinary creations.



    Thank you so much Sue.
    It was delicious, the last slice went this afternoon!



    Thank you so much Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah sometimes it's good to play. I think us adults can be far too serious sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I am so glad I found your blog, your food looks so natural, homemade, delicious! I am going to try the pumpkin pie. I love all the vegguies pies!
    I love all those vegguis flans, In my country we only make them super sweet, with caramel , I need to try your recipes :)delish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS
    Blogger was down yesterday and i had responded to all of your comments on a 121 on the 11th, but they seem to have all gone lost.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You