These crispy pillows of softness smelled like porridge and tasted like porridge, but of course it wasn’t porridge as we know it - these were Porridge Waffles.
I like my porridge with grated apples, so here I decided to scatter some over the waffles.
These porridge waffles were excellent and proved to be a good base for supping up some of our home made curds and jellies, in this case the last remnants of the Banoffee Curd. I have to say, this is perhaps the easiest recipe for waffles I have ever come across. All you need is a food processor, you throw in the ingredients, give it a whiz then pour onto your waffle iron.
Porridge Waffles
Makes 4
Ingredients
110g/1 cup rolled oat flakes
70g/½ cup plain flour
½ pint/1 ¼ cups water
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil2 teaspoons agave syrup, maple syrup (or runny honey)
Pinch of salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
Method
In a food processor, add the ingredients and then blend until roughly smooth. Ladle into a well oiled waffles iron. Cook according to waffle iron instructions. Slightly adapted from The Garden of Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. *A spurtle is a Scottish cooking implement used to stir oats as they simmer and soften slowly in the pot.



What an innovation! Gotta try! Thanks dear!
ReplyDeleteHi Mangocheeks
ReplyDeleteI was looking at spurtles at the House of Bruer earlier this year! Unfortunately I'm not that keen on porridge.
My daughter is visiting your neck of the woods next week to stop with a friend, oy her 2nd trip across the border
Happy Bank Holiday
Jane
sounds like a wonderful way to eat porridge -
ReplyDeleteYou are so creative! Your recipes never cease to amaze me!
ReplyDeleteLooks delicious... the grated apple sounds like a good idea...
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea! Must give it a go soon.
ReplyDeleteI have a waffle iron that I have never used, but this recipe makes me want to make some waffles. You're right, the recipe is much easier than the usual waffle recipes, so I think I'll give it a go!
ReplyDeleteThis is my kind of recipe! Good for you!! I love Aguave!
ReplyDeleteThanks for saying hi!
XOXO
One of the things on my wishlist is a waffle maker/iron or whatever it's called! I love waffles... but scattering them with porridge has never crossed my mind before. It sounds interesting though...
ReplyDeleteThis makes me wish I had a waffle maker! The texture of porridge is too icky for me, but I know it's so healthy, this would be a perfect alternative!
ReplyDeleteThanks Food Glorious Food.
ReplyDeleteHi Jane,
The spurtles at the House of Bruer must have been a little on the pricey side?! I have one, but often forget to use it.
The weather here has been dreary and very, very windy, I hope your daught enjoys her time up her regardless of it.
Happy Bank Holiday to you too.
My mother in law has broken her wrist and is in a bandage, so we will be making our way down south again in the next few days.
Thank you Johanna GGG.
Certainly was yummy.
Thank you so much Kristy Gardner.
Thank you Lrong.
ReplyDeleteThe grated apple is a good accompaniment.
Thanks Cabbage Tree Farm.
You must, its really easy too and one I'll be making on a regular basis.
My Backyard Farmyard.
You must bring out your waffle iron and make this. Please let me know how you find it?!
Thank you Le Chateau des fleurs.
ReplyDeleteXOXO
SumaiyyahAbidah.
I hope you get your waffle maker this year, i really recommend it. Thsi recipe does really work, I hop you can get to try it one day.
Hi sooz.
Waffle makers are great, but a little on the pricey side. Still worth putting on your wish list, you never know...
I know what you mean about the texture of porridge being icky, but thats a mindset thing and its something that you personally have to overcome :0)
I would just like to share another way to add natural sweetness to a recipe. I've started adding apple butter to my baked goods. It's very concentrated and the flavour is not overwhelming. It works for us!
ReplyDeleteBrenda
Thank you Brenda of My Backyard Farm.
ReplyDeleteIts good to know. I actually made some Spiced apple butter last year and have still to plough my way through it, so your suggestion is most welcome.
http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2010/09/slow-cooker-spiced-apple-butter.html
Mangocheeks
ReplyDeleteYes the spurtles were very pricey as was everything else !
How strange - my mum has a wrist injury following a fall a week ago but luckily no fracture so just splinted for support till the swelling/bruising goes. She is up near Elgin this week holidaying with my sister, hope your MIL is recoveringfrom her injury
Don't think my daughter will worry too much about the weather she just misses her friend
Jane
Have a good trip
Hi Jane,
ReplyDeleteYes its strange that your mum too has a wrist injury, fortunately no fractures - unlike my mother in law who is all plastered up for 6 weeks. I've had a horrid chest infection the past few days, hence the reason we haven't packed up and gone asap, but we don't want to pass on germs. So plans are to leave Tuesday (you wouldn't believe that we were there last weekend).
The blustery wind would never have bothered me, but with recent roof work, I just get a bit nervous now.
What a great recipe! It looks like it combines the best of both porridge and waffles, which is saying something. Sadly, I don't have a waffle iron, but if I did, I would make these!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kari,
ReplyDeleteI sincerely hope that you get one one day.
Guess what I'm having for breakfast this morning, as someone forgot to make bread!
Nice recipe and I learnt something new :)
ReplyDeleteI didn't know you have to stir your porridge with a 'spurtle'. Thanks!
Thanks Torwen,
ReplyDeleteIn Scotland you do, but elsewhere its okay to use a wooden spoon.
I've made this recipe for three days on the trot. Its really fab.
This looks amazing! I have a huge porridge addiction (though I have started to spread out to other grains) and I love waffles. If only I had a waffle iron...amazon wishlist here I come!
ReplyDeleteElise x
Thank you Elise.
ReplyDeleteA waffle maker was on my wish list too and then it was granted. Presently on my kitchen wish list I have a food dehydrator - hoping the fairies grant this in the future too.