Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Carob Flake Slices

I picked up a packet of carob flakes from a health shop when I was in the city of Aberdeen last year.  Its been lost in the abyss of my cupboards since.  I was only reminded of its existence in my home when I was wading my way through the shelves, searching for the Black Buckwheat flour for the savoury waffles I made earlier this week.

Anyway, now with the Carob flakes placed in front of my eyes, my thoughts were What to do with it now?
Some kind of chocolate chip cakey thing.  I'd describe these rather generous slabs as a cross between a bar and a slice. I actually preferred eating these Carob Flake slices a day or two later, as the flavours seemed to meld better.

I remember being fascinated the first time I saw Carob beans growing on trees in Cyprus - turning from vibrant green pod to a floppy black bean pod.  Carob powder can be; and is often used as a substitute for cocoa, as is carob chips as chocolate chips, or flakes in this case.  Its flavour is also often compared to the sweetness of chocolate, but I think its actually very subtle like dates.  It also has an earthiness, a bit like coffee that will not be to every ones taste.
Carob Flake Slices
Makes 9 – 12 slices
400g plain flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teas bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon salt
300g golden caster sugar
250ml vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
250ml soy milk
180g carob flakes, chips (or dark chocolate)
Oil for coating the baking tin
Preheat oven to gas mark 4. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and sugar. Make a well in the flour and add the oil, vanilla, milk and carob flakes and stir well until mixed. Pour the mixture onto an oiled 9 x 13 inch tin. You will need to use a spatula to scoop all the mixture into the baking tin, then flatten evenly.
Bake in oven for 30 – 35 minutes. Test with a skewer to see if baked through. Let it cool for 20 – 30 minutes, before slicing.  Adapted from How it all Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer.


  1. I love carob but you're right it's definitely a distinctive taste. I saw a carob tree recently - they look a bit like broad beans! Love this idea - a really good use for them

  2. freerangegirl.
    Funny, when i saw the carob tree - I too thought the carob beans looked like black broad beans. Pretty amazing to look at though.

  3. I feel rather guilty on commenting on this recipe after my 'honest' comment on the stew, haha. I hope to learn to be friends with veggies and love them too. All in good time, I guess. I must say though, your pictures are really good, lovely enough to make me want to try them :)

    The slices look good! I've never heard of carob beans to be honest, so I'm not sure if they can be found in Malaysia. I suppose I can always use good old choc chips.

  4. Sumaiyyah Abidah,
    Please don't feel guilty :)
    I agree all in good time, but as long as you give them some time and space on your plate.

    I have to Thank my husband for most of the photographs features on my blog. I'll pass on your compliments, he'll be pleased.

    Yeah if you can't find carob chips or flakes, good old chocolate chips will be just fine too for this recipe.

  5. It has been a while I stop making dessert with carob! Thanks for reminding me! Great recipe!

  6. I love carob! I ought to cook more with it, and this sounds great. I like the photo of them stacked almost into that picture's mouth!

  7. Thanks CaveGirl.
    So lovely to hear from you.

    Thanks Carob.
    They were not the easiest to photograph, but stacked up they worked well.

  8. I've never been big on carob but have been trying it a bit lately so am interested in this slice - though I haven't heard of carob flakes - I had hoped you might have baked some buckwheat flour into your carob baking because those flavours seem to go together to me but I think I am still trying to get a sense of carob as distinct from chocolate which is my true love

  9. A vegan treat! I love that one :)
    I don't know whether I can get hold of carob chips but I guess one can substitute it with real chocolate as you suggested in your recipe. But I will try, you made me very curious since I have never cooked/baked with it.

  10. Thanks Torwen.
    I hope you manage to track some down.
    Carob flakes and carob chips actually hold their shape well on baking.

  11. Whoops, sorry Johanna.
    Nearly missed out on responding to your comment.
    Carob certainly is an acquired taste and one I was not too sure of on first taste, but found myself going back for more.

    Yes I should have experimented with the buckwheat and combining the two flavours would have been a good option. Guess it will have to be pancakes, crepes and waffles :)


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You