Friday, 6 May 2011

Tofu 'Fish', Chips and Mushy Peas

This Great British Pub grub has been given the veg(etari)an culinary makeover.
All that is missing from this plate is a generous dolloping of bright red sauce.
For those of you who have been reading my blog a while, will note that I am a greasy fingered girl.  I like my deep fried snacks, especially chips, pakoras aka bhaji's and samosas.  When I told D I was going to be making Battered Tofu 'Fish' and Mushy Peas, he snugged his nose.  Not so much at the idea of the Battered Tofu 'fish', (though his preference is bread crumbed) but the mushy peas.  For some reason, he has never been keen on mushy peas - not sure if its the processed flavour or its luminous green colouring. Mushy peas like the ones I've made here are traditionally made from dried marrow fat peas.
If your lucky to be near a Chinese Wholesaler, you can find soya fish, Soya fish fillets, soya squid and soya scallops from Chinese wholesalers. I actually did see some Soya 'fish' (head, fins and tail) at SeeWoo, Glasgow a few month ago when I picked up the vegetarian 'prawns' and wonton wrappers.  Momentarily, I had considered purchasing a packet of a soya 'fish', but it was mighty for me to wolf down alone and D wasn't keen on sharing.  I wish I had done so now, as I may not find Soya 'fish' when I move down South.  Also there are not many places in the U.K that make 'Fish' and chips suitable for vegetarians or vegans.  In fact, I know of only one place, a company called Something Fishy: Purveyors of fine quality soya meat and seaweed that do so.

Anyway, here I have used firm tofu and my fish biscuit/cookie cutter to mimic the shape of a fish.  If you can't find a fish shaped cutter, just slice the tofu and make 'fish fingers' and then coat it in a batter. If I had the patience I would have wrapped my tofu 'fish' in some dried seaweed to give it the smell, if not the taste of the sea.

20 comments:

  1. I LoVe mushy peas! Either the traditional soaked ones or the trashy tinned ones!! I'm afraid I am a bit of a piggy with mine and I mix ketchup in with them - they taste great that way!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks quite kid-friendly. I think I'll have to get out my dinosaur cookies cutters and build a Jurassic tofu scene for my son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, how cute is this meal! I love the cut out shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mangocheeks! These are SO cute. I have to make them. Thank you so much for this ingenious idea.

    PS This is Roxan (from kitchen meditation). Please note my new blog address ;]

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids would just absolutely die out of joy to have these fish shaped tofu! They are so cute! I dont know where I would be able to find them. I AM in Southern California neear Los Angeles so I have most everything I need, but Im not sure about the fish tofu. :( I havent seen it before at my Asian Market. I want them though!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could grab a shaker of kelp (seaweed) flakes and sprinkle it onto the tofu cut-outs prior to battering? Or add the flakes to the batter. I've seen many vegan/vegetarian recipes which call for kelp flakes to induce a "fish" taste (vegan tuna salad, etc.) I bought my flakes at the local organic/health supermarket. They had several brands upon the shelves, both in a shaker bottle and in resealable plastic bags depending upon the brand.

    I love the creativity of this blog! What a novel ideal. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a double-bluff, you ought to make the chips out of fish-fingers! But, of course as a veggie you wouldn't want that, so how about making Celeriac chips?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Squeeeeeee! Look at the tofish!
    I don't like mushy peas either, wrongness on MANY levels :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! This reminds me of something Heston Blumenthal would do :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the palette of fries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank Ruth.
    :)
    I'm one of those people who is non fussed, unike my hubby whose attitude towards its a NO!!



    Jen S.
    What a great idea. If you want to make a healthier version you can just breadcrumb them.


    Thanks yummychunklet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Roxan.
    I remember who you are, your the only Roxan that comments on my blog. Thanks for letting me know your new blog address ;]


    Thanks Morgan.
    :)
    I used a fish shaped cookie/biscuit cutter to shape the fish tofu nuggets. I have no doubt that your kids would love them. You can use any cookie cutter for kids, some like dinosaurs, some like butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Chucky for the kind comment.

    What a superb idea with nori flakes. I'll keep it in mind for next time :) I may have to make my own as I've never seen nori flakes as flavour shakers at the local organic/health supermarket in the U.K.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Mark.
    Your double-bluff would certainly be appreciated by my husband. I never ate much fish when I was a meat eater. My brothers found it a boney meat and fresh fish was a luxury for my family, only entering the home on special events. So its not something we at much when I was growing up, except for fish fingers well lets face it were not 100% fish. Fish and seafood was introduced in my diet in my early years at Uni when my culinary reportoire was extending. I tasted squid, prawns and calamari all for the first time. Fish and chips were a regular meal in the company of my in-laws. I don't eat fish or seafood now, but my husband misses fish and seafood now and again. He can eat what he likes - I've never imposed my dietary preference upon him, I've just been lucky as he's always content with what I make.

    PS Like the idea of Celeriac chips is a fine idea.


    Thank you Greedy Rosie
    :)
    !
    Mushy peas are a bit like marmite - Love or hate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Kari.
    I am sure Heston Blumenthal version would be far more superior than my child like attempts, but I was happy with them. Food has to make you smile now and again :)


    Thank you happydomesticity.



    Thank you Greg.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Delicious and visually appetizing vegan recipes!! :) Lovely, and what a whole lot of recipes in one go!!~

    ReplyDelete
  17. WHAT A SUPERB IDEA WITH NORI FLAKES INTERESTING FOOD,CARIÑOS .

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You