Thursday, 26 May 2011

Spiced Cabbage Flatbreads

The shredded Sweetheart Cabbage in these flatbreads, originally started off as a topping for a rustic wintry pizza.  Then for no apparent reason it evolved into a stuffed flatbread.  These spicy stuffed flatbreads are not that dissimilar from the South Asian stuffed Paratha, except these are much more healthier as they are not laden with butter.

The sweet spicy flavours contrasted wonderfully with the slight bitter undertones of the cabbage. These are best eaten in your hands, the way you would a hand pie such as a pastry, or even a sandwich.
Spiced Cabbage Flatbreads
Serves 6 – 8
For the dough
260g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for frying
1 teaspoon salt
225ml water
For the spicy cabbage filling
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 generous teaspoon cumin, ground
1 teaspoon coriander, ground
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
Small green cabbage, core removed and sliced (I used Sweetheart cabbage)
Salt and pepper to taste
For the dough: mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl (not you may not need all the water) and knead for 10 minutes. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to rest for 1 hour.
For the filling: Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and spices and fry for a few seconds, then add in the shredded cabbage and season to taste. Put the lid on and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the cabbage is tender. Turn off and set aside to cool.
Divide the dough into 6 or 8 balls. Lightly flour a work surface and roll each ball.
Spread some of the cabbage mixture on half the dough, then fold over the over half to enclose the filling. Run your rolling pin over the top a few times to flatten and seal the edges. Layer the flatbreads on sheets of baking paper, so that they don’t stick together. You can put them in the fridge for cooking later if you wish. To cook the flatbreads, heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan until hot. 
Add one flatbread at a time and fry until golden brown on each side. Keep the cooked flatbreads warm in  the oven while you cook the rest.
Slice and eat immediately.


  1. I never would have thought of using cabbage in a flatbread... Great idea! Next time we get a cabbage in our CSA box, I'm on it!

  2. Great vegen recipe! I would love it as brunch on Sundays! Thanks for sharing!

  3. Wow, these flatbreads look fantastic and I really do fancy spicy cabbage. Must give these a try one day!

  4. As a vegetarian and someone who's recently been to India and loves paratha I have to say these looks delicious and I will have to give them a go!

    Thanks for your visits and lovely comments!

  5. I love this kind of thing and will have a go next time my husband is away because he would fuss. I wouldn't have thought of this kind of filling but my mouth is watering at the thought of it. Thanks!

  6. Thanks Kristy.
    Even if you don't use the cabbage in flatbread, its delciious liek this on its own.

    Thank you Food Glorious Food!

  7. Thank you Mel.
    I hope you do get to try these!

    Thanks Cornflakes and Honey.

  8. Thanks Jo.
    Shame your husbsand would fuss, but on the plus side more for you.

  9. Yummy! I will try this recipe, I love cabbage!

    Sandie xx

  10. I once tried making naans. It was very difficult and finally the result was really disappointing. Your flatbreads look scrumptious and easier. I like the cabbage spicy filling idea too!

  11. I may not make the filling as spicy, but I'm definitely excited to make the flatbread! Great post!

  12. Thank you Sandie.
    I hope you do, please let me know how you find it.

    Thanks Sissi.
    I find naan a bit hit and miss too, to be truthful the best naans are thos emade in a tandoor and this is not something home cooks have, unless your either with money or have the know how how to buil one, so I gues its a matter of just keep trying.

    These flatbreads are def. easier and as you pointed out - Scrumptious too!

    Thank you yummychunklet.
    The flatbread is certainly versatile, fill it up with whatever you wish.

  13. I made some stuffed flatbread things the other week, they didn't look as good as yours - great filling!

  14. They look great! I have a glut of spinach and pak choi in my garden at the moment, I might have to try this to use it up!

  15. Thanks Sooz.
    Ah don't make me jealous with your homegrown spinach and pak choi :)

  16. Flatbread looks like a cross between 'capati' and 'roti canai' (i wonder if you know what they are?). My mum makes roti canai everytime we go home for the long hols and we usually eat them plain, with condensed milk, curry or sugar depending on each person's taste. Sometimes she'd scatter bananas or 'chillied' onions on the 'roti canai' before folding and frying them.

  17. SumaiyyahAbidah.
    I have to admit I have not heard of 'capati' and 'roti canai' - sounds lovely though.

    I'll have to read up more about them. Unless of course you have a link you can recommend?!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You