Monday, 9 May 2011

Chilli Gnocchi with Spiced Cabbage

Good Gnocchi is hard to come by.

In the past, I’ve made some gnocchi that were heavy as pebbles and some stodgy as dough, but these were as they were intended to be – perfect, light and fluffy pillow life puffs - enhanced further by the flakes of red chilli.
I was going to keep the sauce simple, something like flavoured chilli oil, perhaps even a spicy tomato sauce, but I knew deep down inside we'd still be a bit nibbly and a richer accompaniment was necessary.  So a humble green cabbage was shredded and given a spicy makeover.

Here is the Chilli Gnocchi lying on a bed of Spiced Cabbage.  The sweet spicy gnocchi complimented the bitter undertones of the cabbage.  This was certainly a filling and satisfying meal.
I am submitting this to Presto Pasta Nights #213. Presto Pasta Nights, or PPN as it is fondly known was founded by Ruth Daniels of Once Upon a Feast and each Friday night a different host posts a roundup of pasta dishes submitted by bloggers from around the world. This week my dear blogger friend Jacqueline of Tinned Tomato is hosting.

Chilli Gnocchi with Spiced Cabbage
Serves 4
Ingredients for the Chilli Gnocchi
650g potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
2 teaspoons chilli flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
200g self raising flour, plus extra for rolling and dusting
1 medium egg
Method
Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain and return tot he pan and shake over a low heat to evaporate excess moisture. Add the chillies, season with salt, pepper. Mash well. Transfer to a bowl, add the flour and stir to combine. Beat in the egg, then turn out onto a floured surface. Knead the mixture briefly, then divide into 4. Roll out each piece with your hand into a 1 inch cylinder. Cut into 1 inch dumplings.
Chill in the fridge until ready to cook. When ready to cook, drop the dumplings into boiling salted water. When they rise to the surface, they are cooked and ready to serve.
For the Spiced Cabbage
Ingredients
Serves 4
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 generous teaspoon cumin, ground
1 teaspoon coriander, ground
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
½ green cabbage, core removed, shredded or sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and spices and fry for a few seconds, then add in the cabbage and season to taste. Put the lid on and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the cabbage is tender. Turn heat low to keep warm and make the dumplings.  Serve as soon as the dumplings are ready.

12 comments:

  1. Gnocchi making and I do not have the best history, but I may have to give it another chance because yours looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this really looks awesome, love the little specs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I've never had any success with making gnocchi - I tend to buy mine from De Cecco now and try not to worry about it, but I'd love to be good at making my own.
    Is there anything in this recipe you think my have contributed to the success of the gnocchi?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thought I'd return your visit.

    And you can't imagine how delighted I was to discover that:

    (i) You have a food blog (I LOVE food blogs!!!)

    (ii) You live in Scotland! ( I lived there for a time. It was a great experience)

    I've never eaten gnocchi before though I think I've heard of them- what are they exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of chilli gnocchi...can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we love gnocchi!
    sometimes I make them with sweet potato:
    also I blanch, drain and leave to dry slightly: then fry in butter: like mini potato roasties! {yum adorned with mozzarella, sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil and kalamatas}
    might have to try your spiced cabbage {slurp}

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love gnocchi, Mango, and I think the chili flakes would be delicious in them. I like how you paired them with the spiced cabbage. I could take a bite out of my computer screen right now, they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks yummychunklet.
    I hope you have better lucky next time making Gnocchi, I guess its a bit like making pastry from scratch - hit and miss!


    Thank you Jennifurla.


    Thanks Greedyrosie.
    Theres no shame in buying ready made gnocchi, i have too in the past, especially the plain versions that can be jazzed up with pesto.

    Two recommendations for lightness: fluffy potatoes and self raising flour certainly helped in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for returning the visit Sumaiyyah Abidah.

    I am so delighted to read that you like my blog.
    I do live in Scotland, but am looking to move either to England or Wales in the very near future. Its good to read that your experience of it was good.

    Gnocchi is a Italian dumpling made with flour, eggs and potatoes.


    Thank you Food Hunter.
    I hope you get to make some to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Chocolategirl64.
    I've made gnocchi with squash, but not sweet potatoes - I will have to one of these days :)

    I like the idea of blanching, draining and frying in butter like mini potato roasties. I will def. be giving that a go, but it will be with shop bought gnocchi as homemade may just be too tender for this process!

    The spiced cabbage is really good here and would be a great accompaniment to many other dishes, not just pasta.


    Thanks Barbara GF.
    Its always lovely to hear from you.
    I am so pleased that you like the chilli flakes in my gnocchi and the spiced cabbage. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to try your gnocchi recipe for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you lie it Tandy. Lovely to make your acquaintance.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You