Saturday, 14 May 2011

White Chocolate Banoffee Roulade

Well there were no Banoffee Waffles for breakfast this morning, but there was a slice of Banoffee Roulade made from white chocolate to be enjoyed later in the day.
This is one ridiculously sweet roulade.  It will be greatly appreciated by those who have a sweet tooth,  and even those who like to indulge in sweet treats now and again.

Regardless of all the delicious, yet sickly sweet flavours (white chocolate, double cream and Banoffee Curd), this was indeed a very light roulade.  My only qualms: the cake had a very slight 'eggy' taste to it (but not too much to put you off it); and the breaking up of the cake upon rolling, but do not despair...
There is a footnote at the bottom of the original Chocolate Roulade recipe stating that this roulade is very moist and inclined to break, but this does not matter. Just stick together with the cream when rolling it up; also the sifted icing sugar will do wonders for its appearance. Therefore, as this was my first time making roulade of any sort - I took great liberty with the icing sugar letting it rain down like snow.

I am submitting this 'White Chocolate Banoffee Roulade' to Chele who is hosting this months We Should Cocoa Challenge.  The challenge this month is to create either a Swiss Roll or a Roulade made from chocolate or cocoa.  Having never made either a roulade or Swiss roll before, I welcomed this challenge.  It had also given me excuse to use up that bar of white chocolate that's been sitting there for months, as well as some of the Banoffee Curd I've made recently.  We Should Cocoa is alternately hosted by Choclette of Chocolate Log Blog or Chele of Chocolate Teapot.    
White Chocolate Banoffee Roulade
Serves 6
Ingredients
200g good white chocolate, chopped into small pieces
85ml water
2 medium eggs
140g caster sugar
For the filling
120ml - 160ml double cream
About half jar of Banoffee Curd to cover the cake
For the Banoffee Curd recipe, please follow here.
To dust
Icing sugar
Method
Take a large roasting tin and cut of a piece of non stick parchment paper to fit the base and sides of the pan. Heat the oven to gas mark 6.
Put the chocolate and water into a heavy based saucepan and melt over low heat. Remove from the heat when smooth.
Separate the eggs and beat the yolks and all but 1 tablespoon of the caster sugar until pale and mousse-like. Fold in the cooled melted chocolate.
Whisk the egg whites until stiff in the remaining caster sugar, with a large metal spoon, stir in a small amount thoroughly into the chocolate mixture to loosen it. Fold in the remaining whites gently. Spread the mixture evenly into the tin. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until the top is slightly brown and firm to the touch.
Slide the cake and parchment out of the roasting tin and on to a wire rack and allow it to cool. Then generously dust a piece of baking paper with icing sugar large enough to cover the cake. Using the wire rack to hold the cake, quickly flip the cake on to the coated paper. Carefully peel away the baking parchment.
First generously spread the Banoffee Curd evenly over the cake. Then whip the cream and spread it evenly over the banoffee.
Roll up like a Swiss roll from one of the short sides, peeling away the parchment parchment paper as you go. Carefully transfer the roll to a serving dish, seam side down and sift with icing sugar to cover those cracks. Adapted from Leiths Baking Bible recipe for Chocolate Roulade.
For the Banoffee Curd recipe, please follow here.

18 comments:

  1. Simply love white chocolate so I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made a roulade or swiss roll as we called it since school. I think they have to split slightly. I am sure there is a rule about that! Sounds very tasty, especially with that curd :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness that looks so delicious. I am coming over for the last slice immediately. Put the kettle on :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad your post is back up - wanted to comment last night but it was down and I am hoping mine comes up soon - love the sound of this roulade - wonderful flavours - never heard of banana curd or banoffee curd before but am sure that this is a great way to use it - one tip I saw on smitten kitchen was to line the cake with a teatowel and cool it rolled up - might help to prevent cracks - I am yet to try it

    ReplyDelete
  5. BLOGGER HAS BEEN DOWN AND ALL THE LOVELY COMMENTS LEFT HAVE BEEN LOST TO CYBERSPACE.

    Thank you Johanna.
    But there are some issues, with blogger being down - I've lost all comments not only on this post, but the previous two. Also, check out the 'labels', those symbols in between are not normal.

    I just went to see Jacquelines blog and she has same issues as me; as well as your blog which is still missing it recent blog posts.

    Thanks for sharing the teatowel tip, I may try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blogger thing has affected so many. I am glad to see your posts are back, if not the comments. I think this sounds absolutely wonderful and you definitely have me drooling. I must make this banana curd so that I can make this roulade. The white chocolate is a really good idea. I must remember to use it more in my baking. I like Johanna's tip about the tea towel too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Zoe.



    Thanks Kath.
    Yes sadly it has, but on the plus side I have to say I've been blogging for over 2 years and have never encountered any problems. So can't complain too much.

    I'm glad you like the sound of this. The Banoffee Curd really is delicious and worth making.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had loads of problems too, I am glad everything is back to normal.
    Tremendous banoffee roulade ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never made swiss rolls or roulades because I fear mine will collapse / crack / break or otherwise not roll up. So I am very impressed with this! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ana,
    I'm still encountering problems, but note other bloggers have a similar problem so am patiently waiting for blogger to resolve it.
    Glad things are back to normal blogging for you.



    Thanks Kari,
    Mine did crack hear and there, but it was okay once covered with icing sugar. I'd encourage you to have a go, we can only get better with practice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh well done MangoCheeks, your roulade looks superb and it also looks very nearly perfectly rolled. Not sure I'll be wanting to chance another roulade, but I have bookmarked this one as it does sound rather splendid, if a little sweet!

    Take it your posts came back? Mine still hasn't appeared nor have any of the comments I lost.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Choclette.

    Its no way perfect as you can see, but I was pleased with my first attempt.

    I've actually had a savoury roulade recipe bookmarked for a while, but your sweet challenge beat me to that one and I am pleased it got me to try. I hope Chele got my email entry, as this post went up originally on Thursday, but I don't know what happened and it got reposted to Saturday, but I lost all the original comments on the Banoffee Curd and the Roulade. I did note your blog entry was missing. I still have other blogger issues so hoping they will resolve over the week.

    Warm wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love banoffee but have never thought to make banofee curd. Definitely bookmarking this to try at a later date if I decide to attempt roulade/swiss rolls again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Baking Addict.
    I don't think i'd attempt this particular roulade again, but will one of a different flavour. Good luck with yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great recipe - Banoffee curd sounds cool

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You