Thursday, 3 November 2011

Parsnip-Carrot and Spring Onion Fritters

Parsnip and carrot fritters for light nibbles.
These were not binding as well as I had expected, so I decided to add some chickpea flour to the mixture.  When made these were served warm with the sweet garlic chilli sauce left over from the Spiced Sweet Potato Wonton Potstickers.
I am sharing these with Haalo for Weekend Herb Blogging #308.  WHB was the first blogging event I ever participated in, so its exciting to learn that this week WHB turns 6.  It was originally founded by Kalyn.

Parsnip - Carrot and Spring Onion Fritters
Makes about 16 x 2 inch fritters
Ingredients
300g Parsnips, peeled and shredded
200g Carrots, peeled and shredded

75g spring onions, sliced
50g plain flour

50g chickpea flour
2 teaspoons rapeseed oil, plus extra for frying
Salt and pepper to taste

 120ml water
Method

In a large bowl, combine the parsnips, carrots and spring onions. Mix well. Add the flours, oil, salt and pepper. Toss well to coat. Add the water and mix until the batter holds together when squeezed. Add more water if needed.
Preheat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to the pan to a depth of about 1/4 inch. Form about two tablespoons of batter into a ball, to form 2-inch wide pancakes. Add enough batter to the pan without crowding, leaving enough space to turn the fritters over. Cook each side for about 2 ½ to 3 minutes until both sides are golden brown.  Drain on kitchen towels and eat immediately.  Adapted from Vegan with a Vengeance  by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.

14 comments:

  1. I was just thinking what I could serve with our supper tonight and these sound perfect. I've just added chickpea flour to my shopping list. M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi M of Vintage Jane,
    These were lovely, but I have to say I did have a little problem with them sticking, so you may just need to add a little extra chickpea flour. Hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look absolutely fabulous & I can't wait to try them. My husband and I are both addicted fritters and sweet potatoes, so I will be trying that recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always looking for more fritter in order to get my three-year-old to eat veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so, so much Cajunlicious. Its lovely to make your aquaintance. Sweet potato would be a great addition.


    Thank you Priti.


    Hi Jen S.
    This should appeal to your little one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious - and I love the simple (but flavour-packed) ingredient list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love a good fritter and I have to admit never having tried parsnip. Nice idea. I think I will unvegan my version though - eggs do make things a bit easier and mum got me some lovely ones from her food swap (I believe it was a carton of eggs for 4 tomato seedlings...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kari.


    Thanks Liz.
    Its okay to add eggs, I compeltely understand; even better when the eggs come from a foodie swap:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are my kind of fritters! yumm.. and that festival looks super cool fromthe prev post!
    Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. look so appetizing! would love to make this sometime!

    nice meeting you Shaheen!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen