Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Caramel Apple Cake

This autumnal 'Caramel Apple Cake' certainly looks the part.  I wish I could have taken the photograph next to some naturally sun drying autumnal orange, yellow and burnished leaves, but its rather muddy in my garden, so it had to be taken against the wooden panels in my flat. 

Upon cooking the sugar becomes sticky and caramel-like, both these elements coating and colouring the cake beautifully.  But beware when making the topping, a minute or two over and it can become a little too dark, and thus a little burnt around the edges, (a bit like this one).  For me the best part of this cake was the apples and how they became soft - apple pie like. 
I am sharing a slice of this Apple and Caramel Cake with Cook Eat Delicious - Desserts.  The theme for November is apples and is being hosted by Nayna at Simply FoodCookEatDelicious was founded by Raven at Cook Eat Delicious
Apple and Caramel Cake
Serves 8
Ingredients
For the topping
100g golden caster sugar
1 - 2 eating apples, depending on size
For the sponge
175g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
175g golden caster sugar
3 medium eggs, beaten
225g plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
75ml milk
Method
Preheat the oven to gas mark 6.  Lightly grease a round 8 inch cake tin and line the base with parchment paper. 
For the topping
Put the sugar in an even layer in a heavy based saucepan and heat gently, without stirring.  When it begins to melt and turn brown, swirl the pan so it caramelizes evenly.  Quickly tip the caramel into the greased base of the cake tin and ensure it is evenly coated.  Leave to cool.
Meanwhile, slice the apples (you may not need to use up all the slices - so enjoy a natural taste of apple).  Arrange the apple slices on top of the caramel, which will have hardened. 
For the sponge
Beat together the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon in a large mixing bowl until pale and fluffy You can also use a food mixer with a paddle attachment for this.  Add then eggs, gradually, beating after each addition.  Fold in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon with a large spoon, then stir in the milk, mixing until you have a smooth consistency.  Spoon the sponge mixture over the apple in an even layer.  Place the tin on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 45 - 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.  Remove from the oven and leave the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a plate.  Adapted from Tana Ramsay's I Love To Bake.

24 comments:

  1. This looks really good. Love the apples and caramel combination. I think the wood background looks very earthy and autumnal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like things "Well done", so I wouldn't mind if my cake was a little bit browner than most people would want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care that its not autumn here in Oz ~ we're just heading into summer. This cake just looks too good to wait for autumnal weather.

    Caramelized apples and sticky gooey cake....oh my...no swimming gear for me this summer at this rate!

    But I think I'd rather eat cake though ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely caramel apple cake...wow wat a treat? caramel and apples just lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, one of my favourits, did you keep me a slice ?.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Baking Addict.


    Thanks Mark.
    - but this is a little too "Well done", that it leaves a slight bitter aftertaste in the mouth. I know where I went wrong, still its edible.


    Hi Neesie Natters.
    A what a lovely comment. I do hope you get to enjoy some now...and i know what you mean about the swimming gear!
    ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Chitra.


    Cookie Jar - of course, there is always plenty of cake left over in my home :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow....looks gorgeous and I can almost taste it, I love that slightly burnt look too, it gives the edges a real crispy texture that must be absolutely divine with the soft apples....can you tell I'm drooling.....

    And anyway if you slightly overcook it, won't it kill the calories....!! :-)

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Sue,
    You really always know how to make me feel better about what I present when I am not completely happy. I think you may be right it may kill some of the calories, but i forgot to mention - thsi cake needs cream!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree - the apple cake looks very stylish against the wooden boards.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! Thanks for sharing.

    ~Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shaheen! Thanks for buzzing me over at my blog. I appreciate it, as at times I am not even sure if there are anyone reading my posts. But having all of you leave me comments means the world to me. Makes me sharing my memories with you priceless. I think my dad will love this. He just love any desserts with apples. Till then, have fun cooking and baking!! Cheers, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's fabulus, kiss Maria ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much Magnolia.


    Thanks Delightful Home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Jo
    and your so welcome.
    I am happy to read your lovely comment.


    Thank you so, so much Maria.
    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to eat my pc screen!!!It is soooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Lenia. I am glad its making you hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello thank you for the comment on my blog. Although I do not speak English well I will follow you to discover new recipes. I will help the translator google! Q Hello Hello

    PS magari parli italiano? ahahha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your blog is like a gold mine, one always finds something delicious. Caramel and aplle is a very tasty combination and apple cakes are always good!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so, so much Azzurra.
    Goodgle translator is good for what it is :)

    Sadly i do not speak Italian, but I do enjoy reading a lot of Italian blogs and have a number of Italian followers. Thank you.


    Thank you so much Fabipasticcio for such a a lovely compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! That looks awesome, so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Many thanks for sending in this entry, however please can you link it to the event url as this is mandatory.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Simply Food Thanks.
    I have linked it to the url. If it is the wrong link then please let me know.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You