Tuesday, 8 November 2011

Senegalese Style Peanut Butter Soup

This is the first time I have ever made a peanut soup, albeit it with peanut butter from a jar.  I know tut tut, I should have made the peanut butter from scratch.  I hang my head down in shame as I had no excuse, I even had a large bag of peanuts in a packet.
D was a bit hesitant in trying this soup, saying curry powder and peanut butter sounded like a strange combination.  However, after the first spoonful, he was quite happy to finish it off.  He admitted though that he could not eat too much of it, as this is a rich creamy red soup.

Other than the peanuts - a main crop in Senegal, I don't know exactly what makes this soup Senegalese as this was not explained by the food writer.  I've read somewhere that 'Senghalese' should have read 'Singhalese' (cuisine from Sri Lanka), but I don't know how much truth is in that.
This soup is best eaten within a couple of days.  This is my first submission to Food of The World hosted by Simple Eating and Living et al.  The country is Senegal in West Africa,

Senegalese Style Peanut Butter Soup
Serves 6
Ingredients
2 tablespoons roasted peanut oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
25g coriander with stems, minced
½ teaspoon chilli or cayenne powder
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 x 400g can tomatoes, chopped
175g unsweetened peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
Salt to taste
Method
Heat the oil in a saucepan, then add the onion, garlic and coriander stems.  Give a stir, then cook over high heat for a few minutes to warm the onion.  Lower the heat and cook until the onion has softened, about 10 – 12 minutes.  Stir in the cayenne and curry powder.
Add the tomatoes, including all their juice and a pint of water.  Stir well and bring to a boil.  Drop in the peanut butter and simmer until the onions are soft and the peanut butter has dissolved, about 15 minutes.  Season the soup with salt and serve.  Adapted from Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison.

26 comments:

  1. Oh I love the idea of peanut soup, and I think it is fair enough that you used peanut butter from the jar. I am going to give this one a whirl (with peanut butter from the jar!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suddenly Blogger is playing silly 'b' again, twice I tried to leave a comment, so here I am 'anon', Sandie (Sandies Patch)
    I like the style of this soup, I used to occasionally add a tablespoon of peanut butter (from a jar!),to curries, especially veg ones.
    I shall enjoy this soup I'm sure, I will let you know!

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lela.
    I have been coming by your blog, just not commenting much.


    Thanks Kath.
    So glad you'd give this a whirl with peanut butter from the jar too :)


    Hi Sandie,
    I've noted some glitches with blogger on my blog too, not so much in relation to commenting but other things - so I hope it sorts itslef out. I'm so sorry that you had so sign in Anon to leave a comment, but I am so pleased you did at least. Please let me now how you find the soup when you make it. xx


    Thank you Rosetta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to let you know your Spiced root veg and lentil stew was a big hit.
    Husband went back for seconds.

    Peanut butter soup sounds intersting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I totally understand. I often visit blogs without leaving comments.

    By the way, now I also have these commenting problems on my blog. People can't comment under some posts. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. This might be worth a try? I like peanut butter and I like soup :-)

    Take care and have a nice day :-)

    And thanks for your recent comment on My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peanut butter soup??!! Omg I have to try this! I am a peanut butter fan... could finish a pot in a moment haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds delicious to me! So glad you stopped by my blog to say hi :-) Happy to have found yours-so many delicious looking recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The concept of peanut butter soup is not one I've ever heard of, or thought to imagine - but I think I might like it! But yes, in my case too, I suspect with peanut butter from a jar :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peanut butter from a jar makes so much sense. Shame we are coming into summer - although..... this could taste good cold too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it definitely sounds more Senegalese than Sri Lankan but having been to neither I couldn't be certain. I do know that they do make quite a lot of peanut stews in West Africa so it would make sense. It sounds pretty rich but I do like the idea of peanut (butter) with curry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cookie Jar.
    Oh i am so pleased. Going back for seconds is a huge compliment.
    PS If you've posted it on your blog, I will link it from the original recipe.


    Thanks Lela.
    I'm sorry to read that your blog is encourntering problems too, there seems to be a lot of it recently.


    Thank you so, so much Ron aka TheOldGeezer.
    :-)



    Thanks Valerie.
    Your 'Omg' response made me smile big time.
    This is a really rich soup, I'd be surprised if you finished it off in one go :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Spicy RD.


    Thanks Kari.
    I was surprised at the combo too, but it does work :P


    Thanks Magnolia Verandah - I agree peanut butter from a jar makes sense. Mmm I think your onto something by suggesting that this could taste good cold too - but I have to admit I prefer it warm.


    Thanks Liz.
    It is pretty rich, so a small ball is def. the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love curry and am always looking for new ways to use it. I understand that here in the States we may not be buying too many peanuts or peanut butter this year. It will be very pricy. It seems the weather affected the crops real bad this summer and there is a shortage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you wilderness.
    Oh I am surprised to learn about the price increase in peanuts, I know its happened with rice due to the poor weather.


    Thanks Cajunlicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a peanut butter fiend, and am just starting to get into the concept of peanuts and tomatoes together. Can definitely see myself making this in the near future :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made a peanut butter soup once (and I definitely used store-bought peanut butter); the recipe was from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest cookbook, and seemed to be "Indian inspired." As I remember it was pretty yummy. My Sweetie lived in Senegal for two years. He told me they ate lots and lots of millet, but I'll ask him if he had peanut soup there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks hungryandfrozen.
    If you do make this I do hope you enjoy. i do like peanut butter spread on good bagel.


    Thanks Miss Rachel.
    I have that book, so will flick through the pages to check it out.
    Yes, it would be interested to know if this soup, or a variation of it is eaten in Senegal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy n innovative preparation

    Happily following you

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have to try this peanut soup....looks delicious!....I'm having a draw in my last pot in case you want to participate!!.......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so, so much faseela; and for choosing to become a follower. It is lovely to make your acquiantance.


    Thank you so, so much Marcela aka foodtravelandwine.
    I will sure be coming by your blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! This looks so interesting! I've added peanut butter to curries before so I can imagine the richness it adds, but it sounds fantastic! (And definitely nothing wrong with using peanut butter from a jar!)

    Thank you for taking part in this months Sweet Heat Challenge : )

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much Lynds.
    Its a pleasure. I hope to be a regular participant :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You