Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Indian Style Brussels Sprouts Curry

The sliced carrots, cubed potatoes and halved Brussels sprouts are dyed turmeric yellow and coated in an Indian style spicy sauce.
The other reason the photograph is awash with an orange tinge is the lack of natural lighting in the evening.  The winter brings with it darkness, so it is no longer conducive for the home food blogger/amatueur photographer to take reasonable picutres for his/her blog.  Saying that though, the natural light outdoors is not good either.  Its dark when I wake up and its dark when I go to bed.    Regardless of the lighting, the dish was surprisingly okay, not delicious - just okay. 
This recipe is based on my Green Bean Salan.  I don't think I've eaten any green beans this year.  Fingers crossed next year will be different and better.  I will once again be enjoying home grown veggies, even if they are found to be growing in pots.  Oh I really can't wait to move now - we've been living under a permanent dark puddle the last few months, literally and metaphorically, surely something good must be due to happen to one of us now, if not the both of us.   
Brussels Sprouts Indian Style Curry
Serves 4
Ingredients
150g full fat butter or ghee
2 medium onions, minced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 inch of ginger, grated or minced
1 teaspoon of salt
or to taste
1 teaspoon chilli powder
or to taste
½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
2 fresh chillies, sliced

1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, chopped
Vegetable of choice: I used about 300g Brussels sprouts, a couple of carrots and on large potato, all chopped up into bite size pieces
Method
In a large wide pan, melt butter then add the minced onions, garlic and ginger and cook until transparent, add the spices and the fresh chillies and cook until the fat of the butter comes to the surface. Add the tomatoes and cook until well integrated. Then add your chosen vegetable, stir and turn heat down until the vegetables are well cooked. Keep stirring to stop the vegetables from sticking to the pan, when vegetables are cooked. 

You can either just serve it as a dry curry (best eaten with roti or naan bread); Or add 150ml - 250ml water to the pot, bring to the boil, let it simmer until the flavours have infused into the water. Serve with rice.

13 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the low light levels hindering good photography! Oh to have a "proper" studio, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying these Brussel Sprout recipes, Shaheen.

    I may have to have a 10 metre exclusion zone around me though after eating so many sprouts LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shaheen: What important is the light for life! In many ways, for take great pictures or to change our humor. The recipe looks great, it's the kind of food I love to cook when I'm alone for dinner or lunch .Just for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shaheen , checked out your other blog too...you have a wonderful collection of recipes. Loved all the decadent bakes too.

    This dry curry is something i like very much,with a bit more garlic i use this base for many curries as you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shaheen.. I have been following your blog for a while. Thanks for sharing such great recipes. Your curry looks very good not to mention bright and colorful. I am from India and I would love to give you the recipe for the authentic curry base. Once you have tried this you will never look for other ways for making indian curry.

    Ingredients:
    1tbsp ghee
    3tbsp veg oil
    1tsp cumin
    0.5 tsp turmeric powder
    1tbsp red chilly powder
    1tsp cumin powder
    1tsp coriander powder
    1tsp garam masala powder
    2 red onions finely chopped
    2 tomatoes finely chopped
    1tbsp chopped garlic
    1tbsp chopped ginger
    Juice of half a lemon
    Salt to season

    Method:
    Heal oil and ghee in a pan. add the cumin seeds and let crackle. once this is done add Onions, garlic and ginger and stir till they become translucent. Now add the tomatoes, chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder and stir till the tomatoes are cooked through and the oil starts to separate.

    This is the basic curry recipe we use.

    At this stage you can add boiled vegetables along with the water in which you cooked them or chicken or lamb or even lentils or chick peas. check for seasoning and let simmer till the curry comes together. garnish with finely chopped coriander. Remove from heat and mix in the lemon juice.

    you can either eat it with boiled rice or any indian bread.

    If you ever get to try this, please let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi shaheen.. I am delighted to see your curry looking so colorful. I would suggest you also add a tsp of coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder each. I would also suggest you cook your veg in a separate pan while you onions are frying, add these cooked veg to the curry not throw away the water in which you have cooked them. This will enhance the taste of your curry. you can also add the juice of half a lemon, finely chopped coriander and mint after you take it off the heat. Let me know how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm not familiar with cooking brussel sprouts..it's quite expensive in Malaysia...but i've tried it before when i was in the states..but we stir fry those brussel sprouts.. & i normally use dhall/gram with potatoes,eggplant,okra & carrots in my vege curry..& the cooking method is abit different...but i'd love to try ur curry recipe someday...u have a great day,Shaheen...keep on posting nice recipes here..:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Mark.
    Its that time of year...
    Oneday who knows we may have a "proper" studio,or a make shift one. I am just looking forward to be able to step outside of a house, without having to walk down a flight of steps in the flat to the garden - even that for me will make a big difference - ah one day.


    Thank you Chris.
    Oooh I had not thought of the after affets, but then again sprouts affects people in different ways, I have to say I've not noted any side effects, other than when cooking and eating them - like the snugging of the nose!


    Thank you so much Verónica.
    Your so kind and your words uplifting.
    I'm so pleased this recipe appeals to you x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so, so much A twisted vine.
    I really appreciate your recipe and I know some of my readers will too, so I have posted it here. I do use the other spices you have entioend here, like coriander and cuming which I adore, but I tend to use them for extra special Indian style curry dishes. Should I come to make your recipe and I may do, as my husband says I don't cook them enough and he has to wait until he visits my family for a good spicy meal.


    Thank you Hang Kebon.
    Ah you don't know what your missing, sprouts are soooo British! Christmas dinner would not be Christmas dinner without them :)

    Have you considered growing them?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a nice blog...Love the recipes and photos ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Jasna.
    Nice to make your aaquaintance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Shaheen,

    I just made and ate this curried veg with brown rice for dinner. It is as you said, an okay meal. Actually, I may have used a bit more chili powder than was recommended or the fresh chilis were a bit too hot...At one point I thought that some raisins or sultanas might be a good addition...what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks e.
    Ah I 'm glad you tried this recipe at least :) I like brown rice, haven't eaten much of it recently.

    I think sultanas to the curry would be interesting, yeah why not.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You