Sunday, 6 November 2011

Kilmarnock Statues

We had planned to go into Edinburgh today, but on waking up this morning changed our minds. 

Instead let me share some photographs with you from Kilmarnock in East Ayrshire, Scotland.  Some of you may have heard of Kilmarnock as it known as the home to the Johny Walker brand of Scotch whisky.  Kilmarnock town is known to locals warmly as 'Killie'.    
As part of the towns regeneration,  you will find  public street art art in the form of sporty and humorous sculptures emerging from the pavements and some on plinths - many of them humorous.  I think its a wonderful idea and a great way to enliven and create a bit of interest in the town centre.


After playing tourist in a town I've been to many times.  I wandered into some of the charity aka thrift shops. I did not come out empty handed. 

I saw some hand knitted socks in one shops and just could not resist them for my cold feet. The lady behind the counter told me, that one of the elderly volunteers knitted and donated them to the charity shop. I listened in admiration, as I'd love to be able to knit my own things, but I need a teacher , or someone to guide me as I always come stuck at some point. The only thing I have ever successfully been able to knit was a vibrant purple teapot cosy.
I am sharing these thrifty hand knitted socks with the Penny Worthy Project hosted at hey what's for dinner mom

17 comments:

  1. It's so fun to play tourist in a town you know. And I love those adorable knits you found:)
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun statues. Think I reckonise those first two fellas. I miss walking into a charity shop but we do have bazaars here(Jumble sales really) There is a one next Sunday and I will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those socks look lovely; wish I knew the recipe for Apple Cider Doughnuts too! The Carter Mountain Orchard folks do it every season and the ones during the Peach season- peach cider doughnuts are also good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely sculptures and socks! I love thrift shops. It's amazing what you can find there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I love these statues! How funny and just the thing I'd love to see around the city on breaks from work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm from this part of the world but i live in Yorkshire now, so it's funny seeing a place i know well but don't ever visit anymore. The statues are great though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all those sculptures, town centres need something to enliven them! The socks look fun, you will need them tonight, it's going to be v. cold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely town, I hope I get to see it in person some day! we are planning a trip when our little ones get a wee bit older--they are 6&8 so maybe a year or two :) Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Erin.
    :)


    Thanks Judith.
    I don't seem to hear much of bazaars Jumble sales) here, unless they are boldly advertised.
    Hope you find some good things.


    Thanks Shri.
    Yeah a recipe for those Apple Cider Doughnuts would have been fab; I've not heard of
    peach cider, let alone peach cider doughnuts - I am intrigued - by both!


    Thanks Lela.
    Yeah I'm so pleased with the knitted socks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Mrs Bok.
    I can't seem to find much on the internet abotu the statues sadly so can't share much mroe about them, but I agree totally they are certainly kind to the eyes!


    Jen,
    I'm so pleased to have been able to share some photographs from a place that you are familiar with. I would have taken more photographs, but its not easy as too many people walking by - after all its the town centre - LOL


    Thanks Janice.
    Guess what I am actually wearing the red knitted socks right now, though a tad too big for my size 4 feet - still i like them and yoru right I need them tonight, our central heating went on today!


    Thank you Laura.
    I do hope you get to visit Scotland when your kids are older.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It so much fun to get see that interesting cool statues.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the sculptures and your knits. It sounds like a wonderful day out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Shaheen: I am traveling and knowing new lovely places thank to your blog and the others I visit. And it´s wonderful and free! Verónica

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Malay-Kadazan girl.


    Thank You e.


    Thanks Verónica.
    I'm so pleased, when I eventually move to Wales you will see more:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We lived near a town like that in Connecticut (US). They had this legend about one night when it rained frogs, so they had a bunch of local artists create frog sculptures which they put throughout the downtown area they were trying to revitalize. Then they trned it into "the frog walk."

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You