Friday, 30 July 2010

Spiced green beans with Tamarind Tofu

Is that fish steaks on your plate?!

I agree, sure does look like that, but let me assure you its 100% vegan.
After making the broad beans in tamarind sauce, I decided to carry out an experiment with the tamarind concentrate: Baked Tamarind tofu. Despite how it looks, it worked out pretty good. The flavour of the thick tamarind sauce was sharp. You could call it a BBQ sauce I guess, I honestly wouldn't know as I've never had any, or made any in my entire life; and I am a woman of a certain age now. Nope, it was not part of my childhood, teenage or early adulthood days. The tamarind sauce actually reminded us both a little of Brown sauce, just a lot more zing and zang in the mouth. So I’ve reduced the tamarind a touch. Our only complaint with this dish was the tofu itself. Its the brand I use often, but this particular this slab of tofu was actually quite soft, instead of firm. This detracted a little of our enjoyment of the meal.

I served the tamarind tofu with some spiced potatoes and the remaining runner, green (and yellow) beans in my freezer from last year. These were good and a good way to use up frozen beans.
Tamarind Tofu
Serves 3 – 4
Ingredients (can be halved)
500g firm tofu
2 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
1 chilli pepper, seeded and chopped
Pinch of salt
1 to 1½ tablespoon tamarind concentrate
100ml water
1 teaspoon ginger powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground coriander
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 6
Slice the tofu into ¼ inch slices, lightly fry in 1 tablespoon of oil and set aside
Saute the onions, garlic and chilli in the remaining oil, and blend with all the other ingredients until smooth.
Arrange the tofu slices on a lightly greased baking dish, pour the sauce over the tofu and bake for 15-25 minutes.
Spiced green beans with new potatoes
Serves 2 - 4 as an accompaniment
Ingredients
200g new potatoes, steamed, halved and set aside
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon of black mustard seeds
1 generous teaspoon of cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander, freshly ground
300g green beans, topped and tailed
Salt to taste
100ml water
Method
Heat the oil in a wide pan, when hot add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and cook until the cumin is dark and the mustard pops. Add the potatoes and green beans and cook for a few minutes, before adding the water. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook gently for 10 minutes, or until the beans are tender, but still crunchy.
Uncover and turn up the heat. Stir in the ground coriander and seal to taste and cook rapidly for a few minutes until most of the water evaporates. Idea inspired by Stones Cookbook.

9 comments:

  1. Mmm that looks delicious! Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog- we had a great holiday but survived on a diet of mostly fish and chips- so I'd better get harvesting some veg and cooking something healthy from tomorrow! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamarind tofu?!?! YUM! The spiced green beans and new potatoes also look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really does look like fish! What a clever idea though to make a Tamarind tofu. I love tamarind and your potatoes look really yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This entire meal looks so good! I love the crust you were able to get on the tofu! I do love tamarind, its got such great flavor! And I agree with you , it does strangely resemble things of a "fishy" nature! Thank you for the vegan recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you mother of purl.
    Nice to learn that you had a great holiday. Yeah surviving on a diet of mostly fish and chips is a fairly familiar story, so I'm sure you'll be looking forward to eating some home grown food! Kind wishes.


    Thank you Mama.
    I have to admit the spiced green beans and new potatoes complimented the tamarind tofu well, as it reduced the sharpness.


    Thanks Jacklyn.
    Honeslty, it was not my intention to make it look like fish, it was only when it came out the oven, i thought 'wow'! I'm rather pleased with the idea of the tamarind sauce and am thinking it would be good coating for other food too, even potatoes.


    Thank you so much Morgan.
    This plate of food is starting to look like your plates of food 100% vegan! The soft crust on the tofu was pure chance, I was not sure how the tamarind would work with the tofu. Turned out edible, just a shame about the soft texture of the tofu!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so good, Mango. I have some tamarind paste in the cupboard that I haven't used in a while. This is mighty good inspiration. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Barbara.
    My mother makes this zingy salad dish with chickpeas and tamarind. I need to get the recipe from her and make it, especially as tomatoes are in season too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it does look like salmon - I need to find more ways to use tamarind - brilliant idea to use it in a tofu marinade

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Johanna,
    You can imagine my surprise when it came out the oven. I'm looking for different ways to use tamarind too and was quite chuffed with the result, although a little sharp!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You