Thursday, 22 July 2010

Broccoli–Cauliflower Bake with Mushroomy Butter beans

Okay okay, i've been boasting about my cauliflower - but I have a confession to make, I also planted a 'snowball' variety. Well I lose track now, but a few days ago I was holding a snowball cauliflower floret in the palm of your hand. The stems of this floret were a luminous green, so bright that you'd think you were holding one of those luminous sticks, it almost hurt my eyes. Okay I'm exaggerating, but it was very bright.
I have to admit the tamari tofu sauce vegetables bake is not the most photogenic of recipes I've made, but it tasted fine almost healthy. I particularly liked the delicate flavour of the tamari in the background. I think the tofu tamari sauce on its own would be good as a dipping sauce for crudités or even raw broccoli stalks. Yet it was the accompaniment of the Butter beans in the mushroomy sauce that got D going ‘this is good, this is really good’. I think it may have been the nutritional yeast flakes. I believe this added more depth to the sauce.
I’ve had a tub of nutritional yeast flakes in my kitchen cupboard for a while. Bought with the intention to use, but somehow never do. Nutritional yeast as the name suggests a great source of vitamin B12. It is naturally low in fat and because of this it is a popular condiment for those wanting to limit their salt intake. On opening the tub you find yellow beige like flakes. For those of you who have little fish to feed, these flakes will immediately remind you of fish food. The smell is quite strong too, like a mature cheese which brings me to its flavour. The flavour is also cheese like, bit nutty too. It is recommended to use in place of Parmesan for vegetarians and vegans.

If your curious to try it, you should be able to find nutritional yeast can be found in the supplement section of your health food store. It can be found in either flake or powder form, but be sure you don't get brewer's yeast by mistake, apparently its quite similar in appearance.
Broccoli – Cauliflower Bake with Mushroomy Butter beans
Serves 4
200g cauliflower florets
450g Broccoli florets
200g New potatoes, cut in half if too big (optional)
200g crumbled firm tofu, drained
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
1 teaspoon mustard powder
25g sunflower seeds
Steam all of the vegetables separately until tender, set aside.
Preheat oven to gas mark
In a blender, combine the tofu, 100ml of water, the oil, Tamari and mustard. Blend until creamy.
Arrange the vegetables in a baking dish. Pour the tofu sauce on top and sprinkle with the sunflower seeds. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Butter Beans in Onion Gravy
Serves 2
100ml olive oil
1 medium red onion, minced
200g chestnut mushrooms, halved
¼ teaspoon dried rosemary, minced
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
175ml vegetable stock
1 x 400g tin of cooked butter beans
Handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
In a medium pan, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onions. Saute until slightly brown. Add the mushrooms, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook for about 8 minutes.
Stir in the flour and cook, stirring often, until it turns brown. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir I the nutritional yeast and stock. Mix well. Return to the pan to heat. Bring to the boil over medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Adapted from Food for the Spirit.


  1. Love the ideas behind this dish; that tofu sauce sounds like an interesting to try. Now you've got me craving butter beans:)

  2. Oh man, how I love mushrooms! they keep me happy for sure! The tofu tamari sounds really good! Adn I love nutritional yeast, I use it all the time. Although, I havae to agree that it does look like fish food! Nver thought of that before. Very true though!

  3. Thank you Rose.
    I love the way good butte beans just melt in the mouth.

    I have to admit I'm not a big one for mushrooms, my husband loves them though. The nutritional yeastwas a revelation to me too. I will certainly be using it a lot more now.

  4. I love mushrooms, and the butter beans and gravy sounds delicious. I agree it's not photogenic, but some of the best meals aren't. That still looks tasty to me.

  5. Thanks Jessica :D
    The mushroomy butterbeans were excellent. Thoroughly recommend them.

  6. Mmm, onion gravy! Very tasty!

  7. This really does look like a hearty, tasty dish, Mango. I use Tamari a lot, but I like how you made a creamy sauce using it with the tofu. And you're right about the nutritional yeast, it's cheesy-tasting and satisfying. I would love a taste of this right now.

  8. That looks like a stellar meal! Mushrooms look they they really add some nice flavor to the dish. :)

  9. Thanks Carissa.

    Sure was a complete meal Barbara.
    It was my first time making a sauce like this and cooking with nutritional yeast. Both I'd def. do again.

    Thank you so much Vic of HayMarket8.
    The mushroomy butter bean dish certainly was flavoursome.

  10. Impressive veggies! My broccoli is almost ready so it's great to have all these ideas of what to cook with it. Thanks!

  11. Thank you Funkbunny.

    Enjoy your homegrown broccoli very soon!

  12. YUM! Both of those recipes sound delicious and the butter beans especially look amazing. I have a can of butter beans I've been wanting to use up, and this looks perfect. I have no idea what chestnut mushrooms are - time for some googling!

  13. Thank you so much Scrumptious.
    The butterbeans were supergood.
    I hope now you know what chestnut mushooms are, I prefer them button mushrooms.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You