Sunday, 25 July 2010

A different kind of Broccoli-Pasta Bake

When I saw this recipe and read the word 'Bake' I assumed it was going to be placed in the oven for the final crisping, but this is not that kind of pasta bake. Its made in a wide pan, a lot of turning of the ingredients so that the distinct flavours can be evenly distributed and the vegetables well coated. The breadcrumbs are crisp giving the effect you would get if it was baked in the oven. Its very filling.
It the kind of grub you can eat easily in front of the TV, but you don't want to sit in front of the TV eating. Sit at a table with a loved one, family or friends and make conversation. Its so much better than slouching over a plate.
Macaroni Bake with Broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes and capers
Serves 2 - 4
250g macaroni or penne pasta
4 tablespoons olive oil
100g dried bread crumbs
2 fat cloves of garlic, sliced
Broccoli head, steamed
50g sun-dried tomato in oil, chopped
1 -2 tablespoons capers
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions until al dente.
In a large skillet, warm 2 tablespoons of oil over low heat. Stir in the bread crumbs. Cook, stirring until golden brown. Add the garlic, Saute for a minute before adding the broccoli, tomatoes and capers. Stir and cook until heated well. Season with salt and pepper.
Drain the pasta and add to the pan. Stir in the remaining olive oil, parsley and basil. Mix well. Serve warm.
Adapted from Food for the Spirit


  1. This recipe is right up my street - I'm obsessed with broccoli and capers! Yum:)

  2. This looks soooo good!! I can`t wait to try this! :)

  3. I lovvve baked broccoli, I had roast veg including broccoli last night :)
    This bake looks lovely! And with your home grown broccoli too?


  4. Mmmm that looks delicious, so pleased to have found your blog, it's full of lovely pictures and recipes i look forward to following you!

  5. This is sings to my vegetarian heart! Thanks. :o)

  6. I like baked pasta dishes like this and especially served with veggies or a salad:-)

  7. Thank you so much PeaSoup.
    I am so pleased that you like this combo:)

    Thank you Jennifer.

    Thanks Rose.
    Because it was my own broccoli in the bake, made the dish even more appealing (of course!)

  8. Thank you so, So much Ms B. Thrift.
    It is so kind of you. Thank you so much for your lovely comment too.

    Oh Tracy,
    Your comment 'it sings to my vegetarian heart!' truly made me smile. Thank you.

    Thanks Patty.

  9. Hello! Mangocheeks, Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Doesn't Sunflowers make you smile..I love their happy colors..

    like the tour of the towns and restaurants..
    I love fish suppers or what we call them here fish and chips..when they are done right"

    I've got to stop by more often to check out your recipes...

    I see two I want to try already, like the Macaroni bake with broccoli, sun dried tomatoes & capers.. And

    Spiced green beans with new potatoes " yuuummm, these sound delicious!

  10. Crikey this tasted good! Made it for dinner tonight and it was a resounding winner - absolutely gorgeous combination of flavours:)

  11. Thank you for repaying the compliment Vetsy.

    And Thank you for your lovely words re: the recpes, If you do get to try any of them, plese let me know and I sincerely hope you Enjoy!

    Oh Peasoup.
    Thank you for letting me know. Its always makes me smile when I learn someone has made a recipe featured on my blog. Thank you so much.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You