Thursday, 29 July 2010

Celery pies with marinated cauliflower bean salad

More veggie pies.

I had picked up a bunch of celery stalks about a week and was reminded of its lovely presence, when I was looked in the fridge and thought hmmm I better use these up before they become too limp. I decided to make a bean salad, but thought why not add celery to some mashed potato. Then I thought, well why not use this celery-potato as a pie filling. So glad I did, it worked a treat.

So may I present to you another portable pie to take into work; and if you want to make more of a meal of this, why not accompany with a cold bean salad.
The cauliflowers in the garden are starting to spurt too, so I have had to harvest some of them. So what was just going to be a celery and bean salad, had a steamed cauliflower added to it. There is cauliflower in the salad honest, see the butter bean with the oregano leaf, follow it down and you will see a floret tucked there.
Celery, potato and Stilton pies
Makes 4
2 tablespoons of olive oil
½ head of celery, about 6 stalks, peel the stringy outer skin of the celery with a potato peeler, wash and then thinly slice
6 shallots or 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
200g cold mashed potatoes,
Optional: 100g Stilton or blue cheese
For the filling
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the celery and the shallots, over and cook over low heat until soft and translucent. Remove from the heat. Stir in the mashed potatoes with seasoning and combine well.
For hot water crust pastry see this recipe
Fill half of the pastry with the mashed potato filling. Top with optional cheese, then layer again with mashed potato topping. If not using cheese, just fill pastry shell with filling. Top with pastry lids and bake in oven until golden.
Marinated cauliflower, celery and bean salad
Serves 4 – 6 as an accompaniment
1 head of celery, about 6 stalks, peel the stringy outer skin of the celery with a potato peeler. Wash and cut into slices
1x400g butter beans, drained and rinsed
1x400g kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
Florets and stalks from 1 small head of cauliflower, steamed until tender. Set aside
For the dressing
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
2 tablespoons chopped fresh celery leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients and stir to combine well. Add the celery, beans, cauliflower and seasoning to taste. Stir well. Leave to marinate for at least an hour before serving.


  1. That looks like very healthy pie full of protein and fiber :)

  2. Your pies always look so perfect and sound so yummy. Did you pick the celery from your garden? I'm impressed, I've never had any sort of luck with it. I love bean salad too, thanks for the recipe.

  3. Okay, I'm not such a fan of crusts enclosing things other than egg quiche or fruit! However, you certainly have my attention here with the Stilton..which we love...and although you mention taking this to would also be wonderful for going out on a picnic or a summer day out on a boat..both the pie and the salad which wouldn't it's on my MC list... and as I have lots of summer squash (courgettes) coming on..maybe a few added to the pie might be nice...

    You always inspire!!

  4. You make such cute little veggie pies! They are perfect!!!

  5. Whoa! This sounds super healthy! :) I am eating cake right now. You've made me feel guilty....kinda ;)

  6. I love them both, the pie and the salad :-)

  7. Your pies are always soooo perfect! :-) I'm in awe!!

  8. Thank you Carissa :)
    I sometimes forget that veg is packed with vitamins, not just flavour!

    Thank you Rose.
    If the celery was mine, I would have boasted, no it was from the grocers. I've never grown celery, may give it a go next year.

    The bean salad was lovely, esp with the cauli.

    Thank you Gardeningbren.
    That's okay. to be honest I never grew up eating pies, its only a recent thing with me, esp since discovering the hot water crust pastry recipe, hence the reason I'm excited to try different fillings.

    I'm glad you liked the idea of the cheese, I was going to omit it all together, but D loves his cheese! So had to add a layer for him.

    I agree these would be fab for a picnic or a summer day out on a boat, we don't have so many sunny days here, so its often made for working lunch :(

    I like the idea of summer squash (courgettes)as a filling for pie too, who knows I may give that a go too :D

    PS You say I inspire (Thank You), to be truthful, I am inspired by others too!!

  9. Thank you Morgan.
    They are getting better and better... not quite perfect yet though, but Thanks so much for the vote of confidence!!!

    Thank you so much HayMarket8.
    Don't feel guilty about eating cake, we got to treat ourselves now and again ;)

    Thank you so, so much Alessandra :-)

    Oh Astra Libris.

  10. I am sooooooooo sorry, I have not been visiting your blog for a wee while, life got a bit hectic, so here I am on a gloomy Sat afternoon, having just eaten a rather pleasant lunch.......feeling hungry again at all your delightful recipes.

    I will try and catch up with your other posts soon! The pies looks yummy! Also reading your latest post, I have never fancied Tofu, but your recipe certainly has encouraged me to perhaps try it out.


  11. Oh Gree Jeannie.
    Don't be silly - no need to apologise. I don't often get to visit fellow bloggers blog as much as I want to either. Our immediate surroundings, family and friends must always come first. Blogging is a hobby after all.

    There weather on the West Coast is the same too, with litte peeps from the sun now and then.

    Were not big fans of tofu either, but I'm always happy to give it a try with different flavours. Do try the mustard breaded tofu. That I think you will like.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You