Tuesday, 6 July 2010

Rustic Cauliflower, stilton and walnut flan

I know I’ve been wishing for the rain and it has truly been appreciated as the thirsty plants and dry ground have all got a good soaking over the weekend, but I didn’t ask for the gusto of wind and the hanging grey clouds that came with it. Its beginning to feel like November, not July. Weather forecast for Scotland predicts it lingering until this weekend, I do hope it clears as we've made plans to do travelling a little further afield this time. Its no fun driving when the rain is lashing down on you at the best of times, much worse when you don't know the roads either. We can only hope that it clears by Saturday.

The early start, hence early finish at work today gave me an opportunity to make something a bit more comforting on this rather wet and blustery day - 'a rustic cauliflower, stilton and walnut flan'.
This is not a set flan, the filling is creamy. It reminded me a little of cauliflower cheese. The walnuts added a nice crunch too. I think these are best served with some new potatoes, simply boiled as the creamy coating from the cauliflower should give it enough flavour.
Cauliflower, Stilton and walnut flan
Serves 4 – 6
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small cauliflower
25g butter
25g flour
275ml milk
125g Stilton cheese, crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste
50g chopped walnuts
Method
Set oven to gas mark 6. Make shortcrust pastry to a recipe you are comfortable with and line a flan tin. Bake blind.
Break the cauliflower into bite sized florets, boil or steam until just tender (about 6 minutes) then drain. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour, cook for a few seconds, then pour in milk and stir over heat to make a smooth sauce. Simmer gently for 5 – 10 minutes, to cook the flour, then remove from heat, mix in 75g of the cheese and season. Add cauliflower, stirring gently to coat. Spoon into flan case, sprinkle with rest of the cheese and the walnuts. Return flan to oven for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Serve at once. Adapted from Rose Elliot's Complete Vegetarian Cooking.

11 comments:

  1. Oh I love anything billed as 'rustic'- how tasty that looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks fab! I wouldn't have thought to put walnuts with cauliflower but I can now imagine it would make a great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes a nice presentation, and I love one dish meals:) Hope the sun comes out for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Emmalene.

    Thanks TheFastestIndian.
    I liked the addition of the walnuts, my husband was not so sure about it.

    Thank you Janet.
    Sun is out, but not too sure for how long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This. Looks. Amazing. The hubs and I are huge fans of any kind of blue cheese, so I'm sure he will like it. I think I'll make it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jennelle.
    My husband loves glue cheese too, so he was delighted with this, not so much the added walnuts though. Just not the upon cooking the filling is still rather creamy. If youmake, I dohope you both Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so many goodies how can one go wrong with a dish like this . thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love caulieflower and mixing it with nuts sounds great to me :)
    thank you for sharing and have a sweet day!
    justyna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Maaya.


    Justyna.
    Cauli with nuts was a new combo for me. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please send the rain South to Yorkshire! I'm down to my last inch of water in my water butt and everything is starting to struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Ruth,
    I'd be so happy too. Hope it heads your way soon. I want a sunny weekend.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You