Monday, 19 July 2010

Serve these Parsley shortcakes with soup

Although having the title 'cake' in its name, these are not cake like at all, but more like bread. These savoury shortcakes are slightly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside and can be served in place of bread with soups, salads, cheese or with home-made chutney as seen here.

What I love about this particular shortcake recipe is it versatility. You can vary the ingredients in the shortcake to compliment the dish you are making. For example you can replace the parsley with a different herb, chili flakes or even crushed garlic. Sweet ingredients can also be substituted for savoury ones.

As its quite wintry outside, unbelievable as its mid-July and supposed to be the height of summer, I would love to dip these shortcakes into a deep chickpea and sun dried tomato soup to warm me up. However, if the weather was a little kinder and warmer, I would have liked to have eaten these with a fresh, vibrant tomato soup made with a glut of tomatoes. Come on real Summer time!
This is my entry for this month's No Croutons Required. This month both Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes and Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen wanted us to come up with a bread recipe that goes well with soups and salads. So quick breads, such as scones, biscuits and muffins, or yeast breads; whatever might go well with a soup or salad have been encouraged. The host Lisa also wanted entrants to mention and link to a salad or soup that would go well with our bread of sorts!
Vegan Parsley shortcakes
Makes 6 - 8 large ones or 12 small ones
Ingredients
125g plain flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
Handful of fresh parsley, minced*
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
6 tbsp soya milk
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 6. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment or brush it lightly with olive oil. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, parsley and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together with the oil, vinegar and soya milk. Make a well in the middle of the flour, pour in the liquid and quickly combine everything together. Do not over mix. Drop 6 - 8 large spoonfuls or 12 tablespoons of the dough onto the prepared tin, spacing them a few inches apart. Flatten them gently with damp fingers and bake for 10 – 12 minutes until golden. Adapted from The New Vegan by Amanda Grant.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely idea MangoCheeks - a bit like a flattened scone, sort of! Just have scones on the brain as that is what we had for supper with our courgette soup. And particularly useful for any vegans who happen to drop in for supper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for visiting my blog today and leaving a comment. I just discovered your wonderful blog and will be back often! My family on my mother's side are scottish McAdams from Glascow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds lovely- I will give these a try this week while i wait for the rain to stop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Choclette.
    I agree it is a bit like a bit like a flattened scone!

    I am liking the sound of your scones with courgette soup. I picked some courgettes earlier this week, not from the garden - those are still growing as you know, but from the market - need to use them - maybe some soup.


    Your so Welcome Lexa.
    And Thank you to You too.

    I have to admit, I've been living in Scotland for 10 years now and I have yet to meet a McAdam. Lovely to make you acquaitance too.


    Thank you so much Susan.
    I hope the rain does stop, has stopped here for a moment or so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was the parsley that alerted me to look closer at this recipe and your site !

    Parsley, which I grow to eat and as food for the traveling Monarch butterflies, is so abundant this year in Missouri, due to plenty of rain.

    Frankly, I am sick of tebouleh, so your recipe will be part of dinner tomorrow ! Thanks....I will follow your site. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Thrifty Dabbler.

    I agree there is only so much taboulleh one can eat.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen