Tuesday, 20 July 2010

Basil-tomato Cauliflower pies

I've had veggie pies on my mind recently. You may wonder Why? Well i've been thinking about the cauliflower growing in my garden and wondering of different recipes to make it interesting for me. It began with thoughts about the cauliflower broccoli pies I made early this year, but instead of the wintry flavours I wanted something that echoed summer.

On my kitchen window sill, I have some basil growing and in the fridge a jar of sun-dried tomato. I boiled some potatoes and mashed them well. Then I steamed the cauliflower until it was tender. When it was cool enough I roughly chopped it. Then combined both the potato mash and cauliflower with a little seasoning. I divided the mix into two bowls, to one I stirred in minced sun dried tomatoes, to the other basil I did this for affect. I thought I'd layer one half of the pie in red and the other in green (see below), but if you decide to make this you can combine it all. I was just being a bit arty, maybe even a bit poncy.

Now for the pastry. I could have taken the easy route as I often do and used puff pastry, but I wanted a change. I then remembered the hot water crust pastry that I've had great success with. Its been a real gift by the veggie domestic goddess.

So these Basil-sun dried tomato cauliflower pies were the final result. Delicately flavoured cauliflower encased in a wholemeal crust pastry. The wholemeal pastry was a little dry so needed something else with it. D suggested eating them with some home-made chutney - good call.
We had four pies left over. D recommended taking them into work the following day for lunch. Although absolutely edible, they were not so nice cold and a little dry, plus it needed to be warm, but that didn’t stop us from eating them.
Basil-sun dried tomato flavoured Cauliflower pies
Makes 8
I'm sorry I don't have a written recipe for the filling as I made this on the go with what i had to hand (see above), so hardly measured. Except for the hot water crust pastry. You can find the recipe here. Listen if I can do this, I have no doubt that you can too!

12 comments:

  1. These sound delicious, and look very pretty. I love the two-color effect. I'm dreaming of eating one w/ that homemade chutney. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look incredibly tasty and I'm sure I can get pretty darn close to how you must have put the filling together. Thanks for sharing that crust pastry with hot water...first time I had heard of it.

    Have a great week and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. love seeing you use hot water pastry - I only discovered it recently and this reminds me to use it - I agree it is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look VERY delicious! Thanks for the recipe. We've been picking our raspberries this week. And last night harvested the first of the kale--a touch of garlic, a bit of oil, whack in a hot pan... oh, sooo good! Happy Summer Days :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really gorgeous dish, with amazing ingredients, straight from your garden. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Rose.
    I should have put a link to the homemade chutney too!


    Thank you Foodessa.
    The hot water crust pastry is fantastic. Do give it a go.


    Thank you so, So much Adventures in Domestic Cooking!


    Johanna,
    My husband doesn't think I make enough pies using the recipe. He loves them whatever the filling.


    Thank you Tracy.
    Oooh I am so enviour of you pickign and eating raspberries.

    What kind of kale are you growing? I love curly kale, but this year, have only mananged to grow Tuscan kale.

    Kale and garlic with oil - YUM! :o)


    Thank you so much M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. those look so cute, and tasty! my friends and I had a pie-theme party earlier this year, where everyone brought a different kind of pie (some sweet, some savory). i'm definitely saving this idea for the next version of that party! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so, So much Ali.
    Please watch this space.
    More vegetarian and vegan pies to come!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this recipe is amazing. I had no idea yummy stuff was inside! Love your photos. I hope you will submit this to http://www.FindingVegan.com ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kathy,
    Thank you so much.
    I am away from my home computer. So when I return home after my vacation, i'd be delighted to submit it as you've suggested. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such gorgeous presentation :) And lovely flavour combination too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen