Sunday, 18 July 2010

Sesamed broccoli, mushrooms and potatoes

Well I hope you have all had a pleasant weekend, or are still enjoying whats remaining of it. I've had a weekend at home. We have been neglecting our abode recently, so housework was order of the day. Some washing, scrubbing, hoovering, a little ironing, dusting, (cough) lots of dusting, some of it I blame upon my own lack of attention to housework and some of it I blame on the freight and commuter trains that pass by our flat. Anyway, our day at home paid off, the place looks relatively ship shape.

For food. More broccoli from the garden. I also found some Hestia dwarf runner beans hiding beneath the weight of the leaves and red flowers. There was enough for our evening meal.
The sesame broccoli was served with sesame seed button mushrooms and sesame oil flavoured Charlotte new potatoes. I find the smell of sesame oil quite dominating and it lingers for a while, regardless of this the flavour of the oil was not at all overpowering. It was quite delicate actually and quite pleasant.

The only thing you will need perhaps, is a toothpick for all those oval shaped seeds that like to stick between your teeth.
Sesame broccoli
Serves 2 - 4
Ingredients
400g broccoli
Handful of runner beans, topped and tailed and cut into diagonally
2 tablespoons of sesame oil
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Salt and pepper
Method
Break broccoli into large florets with stalks in tact if you wish and steam until just tender. In another pan, steam the runner beans, then drain both and set aside. In another pan, warm the oil over low heat. Add the seeds and toast until golden. Toss the broccoli and the runner beans in the oil with the seeds, and season to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Sesame Roast potatoes with mushrooms
Serves 4
Ingredients
For the sesame potatoes
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 tablespoons sesame oil
600g small new potatoes, steamed until just tender
2 teaspoons salt
For the sesame mushrooms
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 fat cloves garlic, crushed
Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
100ml tamari or soy sauce
400g button mushroom, stems removed if you wish
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
For garnish
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Fresh parsley, chopped
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 7. Pour the first group of oils together in a baking tray and heat in oven, when oil begins to smoke, add the potatoes and sprinkle with the salt. Give the tray a quick shake, and return to the oven. Turn the oven down to gas mark 6 for 20 – 30 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown.
Meanwhile, beat the second group of oils together with the garlic, lemon zest and juice and add the tamari in a large bowl. Add the mushrooms and sesame seeds and stir to coat all surfaces.
When the potatoes have turned golden, remove from the tray with a slotted spoon and keep warm in a serving dish. Add the coated mushrooms to the now empty potato tray. Return tray to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, shaking occasionally.
Stir up the mushrooms with the potatoes, scraping any residual sesame-tamari mix over all. Sprinkle with more sesame seeds and garnish with the parsley. Adapted from The Stones Cookbook.

11 comments:

  1. It must be great taking a walk in your garden deciding what will be on your table next. What an appetizing veggie platter you prepared so thoughtfully!

    I totally understand being overwhelmed with so much to take care of and some things lag behind. I wish I had two of me ;o)

    Have a great week and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! I can almost smell the sesame oil. Thanks for the recipes--enjoy the new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so tasty and fresh! I love veggies in their original form. Just. Plain. Vegetables. I don't need a whole lot with um. They are good on their own. Your food always looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my photo blog during the weekend. It is great to meet you and find your delightful blog--so much goodness of the body, soul and eyes here! Love these simple recipes... I need to use broccoli stems more often. They too often get cast aside, don't they? My husband & I are excited to be growing more of our own this year and thrill to harvesting and cooking it. Out plot isn't big, but we have big dreams! Next year I want to do more with container growing. Very much enjoyed browsing some of your most recent post. I look forward to visiting here again! Happy Days :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I roasted veg last night and they were far plainer than these tasty morsels - I also did a lot less house work - nor did it look as colourful but we have many more sprouts and spuds so may have another go with inspiration from you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the runner beans, I have some in my garden too! I don't normally grow broccoli because sometimes it gets really buggy. I grew it last year and it was fine but didn't put any in this year! I like to try different veggies and for some reason I'm growing a lot of strawberries for the birds, isn't that nice of me? Your recipe for all the veggies looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Claudia.
    I wish I could pick and choose what to eat from the garden, but vegetables have to be eaten when there ready and at the moment it seems to be broccoli. I wish I was picking strawberries and raspberries too.


    Thanks Nonizamboni.
    I too can still smell the sesame oil - nah just joking.


    Thanks Carissa.
    I like to taste the veg too, but i like to experiment cooking too!


    Thank you for repaying the compliment Tracy.
    Please do try and enjoy eating you broccoli stems a bit more, perhaps as a crudite with a dip!

    Happy growing and eating to you and your husband. Happy Days to you too :o)


    Hi Johanna GGG.
    I like roasted veg, but sometimes it does need a little something extra.

    Ah sprouts are delicious roasted and you know how I feel about roasted potatoes :D


    Thanks Pacheco Patty.
    Its the first year i've successfully grown good broccoli. Like you I like to try different veggies, but with limited space this year I was selective.

    So kind of you to be growing strawberries for the birds :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a beautiful blog, I’m loving all the recipes and photos.
    I don’t think that I have ever tried sesame oil, although I love sesame seeds. I will have to try this. Only it will be with bought broccoli, as I don’t have any luck with growing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so, so much vrtlarica.
    For such a lovely compliment. It is most appreciated.

    Sesame oil is relatively new to me. I'm enjoying experimenting with it, but a little goes a long way.

    Last year I did not grow Broccoli well, this year a reversal. I am amazed myself.

    Once again Thank you so much for such a lovely compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This all looks so delicious - I especially like the mushrooms and seseme. Now despite your complaints about the weather, you have runner beans already - ours have hardly got off the ground yet - I'm envious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Choclette.

    The runner beans are a dwarf variety, so let me off please. And I only mananged to harvest a handful :) The scarlet emperor - climbing variety are just beginning to flower.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You