Friday, 9 July 2010

Spiced Broccoli snack

I’ve been working the early shift all week, so came home a little early yesterday. Feeling a little snacky, I say to D 'Do you want a cheesy toast?'.
He said 'Okay'.
I then decided to forewarn him, 'its not gonna be like your cheesy toast drizzled with Worcester sauce and black pepper'.
'So it's going to have some spice then?!'
'Of course!' I added.
We had some steamed broccoli florets in the fridge, not a good idea keeping steamed broccoli in the fridge, like cauliflower it leaves a rather offensive niff behind. Anyway, I decided to add these florets to my a cheesy toast and a light sprinkling of chilli flakes.
Oh my goodness these were flavourful. I really, really enjoyed biting into these and so did D.
The only thing I would perhaps do differently would be to cut the florets in half, they were quite big for my mouth, and I'm quite greedy.


  1. Yum! This looks like a great snack. I just had roasted broccoli the other day, after not having had broccoli for a while (not because I didn't want to... just because I sort of forgot about it!) and remembered how delicious it is. Thanks for another quick and great way to serve it.

  2. Why did I have to read that before my lunch break! Made me soooo hungry! I am going to have to try that, what a great idea.

    Funny enough, my guy can handle more spice than I can.

  3. oh this looked really nice (I am reading your blog before my tea and feeling really hungry!), although I am not a lover of brocoli - this would be a good way to eat it. Thank you for sharing.

    I love cheese too much. Possibly I would like to live, in a house made of cheese and eat away at the walls.

    Green Jeannie ;0D

  4. Oh I love this idea! I love broccoli, but never think to do anything like this with it. This would be a great party appetizer too.

  5. What a great idea. I always forget how much i love cheese on toast, and then only have it slathered in brown sauce (gorgeous stuff). I really like this take on it, sort of healthy and classy whilst still being totally cheesy comfort yumminess - brilliant!

  6. Uhhh...YUM!!! My mom used to make broccoli and cheese when I was young and I loved it!

  7. Thanks Roxan.
    Roasted broccoli sounds good too - I love roasted veg, but when its as fresh as this Ithink steamed is the best way.

    Sorry Chilean Woman.
    I hope you get a good meal this evening!

    I grew up eating spices, so I can take heat. My boyfriend, then fiancee and now husband went through a transitional phrase. I like food spicy,but not ridiculously hot, its important to taste the flavours.
    Have a good weekend.

    Thank you so much Gardeningbren said!

    Green Jeannie.
    I hope you had a lovely meal this evening.
    Like you I am not a lover of brocoli either, a bit like cauliflower - but I have found ways I like eating it and this is one of them.
    And Thank YOU.

    Thank you Heather.
    I would never had thought of doing this either. It was only because I had some in the fridge and this seemed like a good way of eating it and I am so glad. It was Delicious.

    Thank you freerangegirl.
    I can hardly call this healthy - all that cheese. But i know where you are ocming from so accept 'classy'- Thank you!

    Thanks Carissa.
    I wish I was intro'd to this when I was young. I woudd have been eating it through my University years!

    Have a lovely weekend.

  8. Wonderful! Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables - even my kids love it! Am so glad you did two consecutive posts on it :)
    Just now tagged you for an award over on my blog .

  9. These look wonderful! I will have to try this soon. We've got broccoli on hand, so maybe tomorrow...I'm always looking for healthy snacks and such.

  10. Hiya

    Scrummy broccoli, little sweetpea calls them lollypops :-) By the way I made some ginger and pear muffins recently and they were as flat as a pancake! I remember you making a ginger baked item and it having the same effect - strange. It must be something to do with ginger.

  11. What a great idea...these look delicious!

  12. Grapefruit.
    So pleased to read that your kids love broccoli.
    Re the tag. Thank you so much for thinking of me.

    Thanks Jennifer.
    I hope you enjoy this simple snack!

    Scented Sweetpeas.
    I like little sweetpeas name for broccoli 'lolypops'.

    Thanks for sharing your experience with cooking with ginger. I had not thought that it was the ginger - perhaps its is, now that you've encountered a similar problem.

    Thank you Yvette.

  13. Yummy! What a great idea.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You