Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Leek Savoury Puddings

I made these a few days ago with the leeks from the veg box. Oooh veg box, I forgot to tell you all I took the decision to cancel the veg box, but I'll tell you more about that later. Lets just focus on these Savoury suet puddings for now.
With it still being a bit nippy, this kind of food is still welcome on the menu.
Luscious flavourful leeks and half moon carrots in a light soft pastry. And of course, it had to be served with some mashed potatoes and gravy. D pointed out that I could have added some cream or cheese to the filling, and the original recipe did suggest that, but I wanted to keep it vegan. I am so glad I did.
I’ve made a variation of the savoury puddings before with mushrooms and shallots with ‘truffle’ sauce, but that was one large one when I had friends over, there was a sense of occasion cutting through the suet pasty and serve. This time I decided to make individual portions. So dainty on the plate they were too. I used these plastic pudding containers that came with a lid, but if your making this recipe, and don't have pudding lids, you just need to cover the pudding well with foil. I still had to do this as two of my pudding lids were missing.

Leek Savoury PuddingsYou will need 5 - 6 pudding basins
Serves 5 - 6
Ingredients
For the Suet Pudding
300g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Salt and pepper to taste
100g vegetarian suet
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
Cold water
For the filling
1 large onion, finely sliced
2 large leeks, sliced
200g carrots, peeled and diced small
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
Preheat oven to Gas mark 6.
For the filling
Heat the olive oil, add the onion and leeks and sweat on a low heat for about 20 minutes, until soft. Then add the carrots and vegetable bouillon powder and thyme and cook for a further 10 minutes, when they have softened. Season well and turn of the heat.
For the suet pudding
Mix all the dry ingredients and the herbs in a large bowl. Mix in enough cold water to make a firm dough. Divide the dough into 5 - 6, roll the pastry out on a well-floured work surface, to about 3mm thick circles that are big enough to fill the pudding basin with a small overhand. Line the pudding bowls with the pastry, gently easing it round the sides for a snug fit. Divide the filling between the pudding basins. The filling should be 1cm below the rim. Take each pudding in turn and with a sharp knife trim off the excess pastry level with the rim. Re-roll this excess pastry and cut out 6 circles big enough to cover the tops. Place the pastry tops on top of the filling and press the edges together to make a firm seal. Trim off any excess. Place the puddings into a steamer. Cover with the lid and steam for for 30 - 40 minutes, or until the pastry is cooked. Leave to cool for a few minutes and then ease a small knife around each pudding and turn them out. Slightly adapted from Rachel Demuths Green Seasons Cookbook.

18 comments:

  1. These look really delicious. Serious comfort food for cold evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jo.
    I'm glad you agree these puddings are made for cold evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I've been looking for a way to use my suet, too.

    Really excited to have a good wander through your blog, accruing delicious veggie meals to prepare...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The puddings look delicious...I've always wanted to try a steamed pudding, but thought that it would be difficult and that I'd need special pans or something...thanks for the recipe and the how-to...I have to step up and try some now...I hope they turn out as yummy as yours must have been!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made a steam pudding of any kind, but these look interesting and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mangocheeks,

    Your puddings look so delicious and comforting! It sounds fantastic with mashed potatoes and gravy, YUM! I love the last photo the most, it makes me feel so hungry in the middle of the night:)

    p.s. I finally posted "Pay It Forward" tonight, sorry it took me a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These do look tasty and I'm a red meat sort of gal!
    Claire
    PS Thanks for commenting on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious I love the way the filling is spilling out, I can't wait to hear your reasons for cancelling the veg box.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pudding cups are fabulous!! Where did you find them? I love the look of the individual puddings, and they came out SO perfectly - you are indeed a master of dough!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for coming by Cott. I hope some of these recipes take your fancy.


    Thank you Rose.
    The filling is obviously straightfoward and so is the pastry, its just a bit fiddly getting into the moulds. But once you've done it, you'll make them again without a second though. I look forward to seeing your version too, do try them with mushrooms if you want a change from the leeks!


    Kella,
    They are good, but I think they do need a sauce with it, hence the gravy. I'd encourage you to have a go and make a large family size one.


    Thank you Oraphan.
    This is certainly comfort food, but not one i'd recommend in the middle of the nigh.

    Please don't apologise for the delay in relation to the "Pay It Forward", I am just glad it got there. I was worried it may have got lost in the post.

    Thank you Claire,
    I do appreciate you comment. Thanks for repaying the compliment and coming by.


    Thank you so much Kath :D
    You may have to wait a little while before I write about my reasons for cancelling the veg box (apologies in advance).


    Thanks Astra.
    I'm no master of the pastry, the pastry recipe is really straightforward. Forgive me Astra but I don't quite understand what your asking of me when you write 'Where did you find them?' are you referring to the moulds? Please can you clarify so that I can respond :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely idea and they look so cute too. Now I'm curious about the demise of the veg box!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What neat little domes, I bet they were great with the mash and gravy. lovely, lovely comfort food!

    ps I have given you an award, come and collect it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've also never made a steamed pudding but you have inspired me. I'm thinking leek AND mushroom with maybe a smidge of wine. Ooh yum!
    Thanks also for your comments on my blog - it's very new! I'm following yours now - love the veggie recipes and need lots for my allotmnet produce!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Choclette.
    Yeah, I need to write and let my wonderful and readers know why I cancelled the veg box, I know many like yourself will be curious to the reasons. Promise to do so soon!


    Jacqueline,
    Thank you so, so much for humbling me with this award. I am truly touched by your kind words as well as to be connected to your blog this way. Your blog and Johanna's blog Green Gourmet Giraffe were the first two veg-friendly blogs I came across and instantly adored. That feeling still remains.

    As I said to Johanna and would like to say to you also, Thank you so much for the kindness and encouragement you have shown me. It has been greatly appreciated. I have always been made welcome by you both.


    Thank you so, so much Ruth.
    And thank you for becoming a follower. I honestly appreciate it.
    Go for it with the (white) wine in your savoury puddings. I'm thinking about making some more this weekend, with mushrooms too. I look forward to coming by and enjoying what you grow at your allotment plot. Warm wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look yummy - I've never made or eaten a pudding before, but I might have to start now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sooz,
    I'd recommend trying a savoury pudding. Please do have a go.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You