Wednesday, 3 March 2010

Spiced carrot dip

Before moving onto the carrots that came in the veg box last week, I wanted to use those I already had in my flat. So I made two carrot dishes over the weekend. This spiced carrot dip was one of them.

To make an occasion of them, I served this vibrant orange dip with some tortilla chips that I cut into triangles with my pizza cutter, then placed on a baking sheet that was coated lightly with olive oil and baked them for a few minutes until crisp. It was a lovely change from the chickpea hummus. The spices are quite mild, but you can taste them.
Making this carrot dip, also gave me an excuse to bring out my carrot loving rabbit for aesthetic reasons you see, not so much the cute factor.
Spiced carrot dip
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients
500g carrots, thickly sliced
1 generous teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 generous teaspoon paprika
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon olive oil
Juice from ½ lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Place the carrots in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the carrots are very soft. Drain and set aside to cool. When cool either mash them or put them into a food processor along with all the ingredients and blend to a puree, but not too smooth, its good to have a little texture. Season to taste and serve with pitta bread chips or tortilla chips. Adapted from The Allotment Gardeners Cookbook.

23 comments:

  1. What an interesting recipe...I wouldn't have thought to make a dip out of carrots, but I'm sure this is delicious...love the bunny too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Rose.
    It really was delicious, actually I have a little left in the fridge - not for too long :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very interesting and a yummy dip...love the bunny too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite original and looks very yummy. I love your little bunny too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Fay.
    The little bunny thanks you too :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. spiced carrot dip looks tempting!! i wouldn't mind for having it now...cute little bunny..

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very interesting and new to me dip. I like it because its different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carrot dip! That is a great idea! Super cool! Just as I read this post, Carrottop came on the tv! It was fate! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! Im always looking for vegan dips and this one looks great.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would never have thought to make a dip with carrots, it sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Jagruti.


    Thanks Kella :D


    Thans Vic,
    Living in the U.K I'm not familiar with Carrottop. Please can you or any other reader enlighten me?


    Rose,
    I really recommend this dio, its really warming.


    Thanks Jo,
    I've also come across a dip made with beetroot. It may be the next one I make with those beetroots I have in the veg box.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delicious. I am going to make the recipe for our camping trip to the beach next month. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great dip, very creative! I need to try this:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Krys.
    I hope everyone enjoys it, especially you.


    Thank you Janet.
    It really is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so excited about the idea of carrot hummus! Sounds so wonderful!

    The bunny is awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds and looks sublime!

    Thank you as well for the comment on my new look blog. It reminded me that I loved your 'new' header too but forgot to comment at the time!! As the saying goes, 'I would forget my head if it wasn't.....' I LOVE it though, great photo - the colours are fantastic! :)

    ...and I'll definitely be trying this dip ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Debbie.

    I like my blog header too. Still feeling uncertain about the name, especially as I no longer have an allotment plot. But i can't seem to 'give it up' as it is so much part of my blog identity too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. MMMMMMM,...what a tasty carrot dip!! A must try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Sophie.
    I really encourage you to try this dip. It really is a delicious one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carrot dip! So glad i found you mangocheeks!! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanking you so much for becoming a follower.
    Warm wishes.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You