Saturday, 27 March 2010

Cinnamon Apple Pancakes

Pancakes are not just for Shrove Tuesday, but for breakfast - any time of the year too. However, these are not the flat thin pancakes that cover the whole of a frying pan, but small drop scone-like. What we know in the U.K as American style pancakes.

I decided to make some with apples, but I think they would work well with other fruit like bananas and pears.
Although these were light and delightful to eat, I think they would have gone up a notch if they had been served with some sharp blackberries or even blueberries, but as they are not in season I substituted this gap with some blueberry syrup. A little expensive I admit, but it was a treat and one well worth it after being poorly all week. D appreciated them, all I could hear was 'nom nom nom'.
Cinnamon Apple pancakes
Makes 8 – 10
Ingredients
2 eating apple(preferably red skinned), cored and sliced thinly into rings
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon butter
160g/ or 1 1/4 cup of plain flour
2 tablespoons caster sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
200ml or 1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus extra for frying pan
1 egg
Method
For the cinnamon apples: In a bowl, add the sliced apples, cinnamon, maple syrup and mix to coat. Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add half the sliced apples and cook for about a minute until its starts to soften. Remove from the pan and cook the remaining apple slices. Set aside. Wash and dry the frying pan.
For the pancakes: Sift the flour and the baking powder, then stir in the sugar. In another bowl, mix together the milk, puree, oil and 1 egg; gently fold mixture into dry ingredients until well combined. Add a little oil to a frying pan and gently heat; add four slices of apples in the pan a little apart, then drop in about 2 – 3 tablespoons of the batter over the apple slices. Cook pancakes about 3 minutes on each side. Continue doing this until all the apples are gone. Serve warm with honey or maple syrup. Idea inspired by Ainsley Harriot's Feel Good. If you have any left over, put them in the fridge as they do keep well and can be eaten cold.

21 comments:

  1. Ooh, they look very lovely. A great idea, I will be trying the cinnamon apples with our pancakes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome and Thank you for commenting on my blog Damo. It is nice to make your acquaintance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm this sounds like a good excuse to finish up that last bag of frozen blackberries lurking in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pancakes! I usually have mine with syrup and soy icecream :) the apple with blueberry syrup sounds delightful too.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh!!! Very cool! I love the steaming apple picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look yummy enough to serve for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look wonderful. I'd love to try them for a weekend breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy,
    Please do use them this way if you can. You've reminded me that I need to dig into my freezer to, I have a feeling i have some raspberries and blackcurrants to use up.


    Thanks Rose,
    Yep you reminded me that pancakes are not just for breakfast but make a good dish anytime of the day too, esp with ice-cream. MMMMMmmmm.


    Thank you Vic. Funny you say that, 'cos thats the same picture my husband likes. Mind he he didn't mind eating them either.


    I agree with you Shannon, they would be good for a desset to. I was narrow mindedly just thinking breakfast at the time.


    Thanks Grapefruit. I hope you do get round to trying them one-day. They are a nice change to the usual fry up for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Waw!! Your cinnamon apple pancakes look so cute & so delicious too!

    Lovely food!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Sophie.
    These were not the best ones as not round, but the ones I cooked thereafter were perfect and round.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious, and I agree, I bet they're lovely with blueberries, I'll have to remember to make them in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW, another brilliant recipe to add to my Easter list. This one for breakfast on Easter Sunday I reckon. Not been around for ages as have been back to work again. Ugh, it blocks out the whole rest of my life.

    Really nice to see the ideas still coming thick and fast...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Moy,
    So lovely to hear from you.
    Work (gggrrrrr) - what can I say - Other than it would be lovely to be a lady of leisure. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello,
    Pancakes are my ultimate favorite food!! As an American I grew up on them. Yours look absolutely delicious! I love adding banana into the mix itself. I use sugar free syrup shipped from the States by my dear sweet family.

    Great blog, and wonderful pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Eve,
    Thank you so much for coming by and Thank you so much for your comments and for becoming a follower. I am humbled.
    I am eating a lot more pancakes and waffles these days than I did as a child. I really do enjoy them, filling and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh I love panackes and cinnamon apples is one of my favorite combinations...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Cooking Foodie.
    Its the first time I tried it this way and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never seen slices of apples in pancakes, and I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You