Monday, 8 March 2010

Warm Beetroot and Cheese slices

I know this doesn’t sound particularly appealing, even more so if you don’t like beetroot, but I was curious to try this old fashioned recipe.
I think it could be brought up a notch or two to appeal the eyes; but for taste, it got full marks. As you know the flavour of beetroot is earthy, but with the addition of cheese, pickle and mayo it was both slightly sweet and tangy. D said he’d be more than happy to have it again. So I may just make them again, but with a different pastry recipe as I found the original pastry recipe for this a bit of a nuisance to roll out. However, after a botch-patch up job, you don’t really see the imperfections and the final result was actually rather good. The pastry was light, held well and crumbly in the mouth, but I know me, I don’t think I’ll have the patience with it breaking up on rolling again so a different pastry recipe it will be. But for those of you who may have more patience than me, I leave the recipe for your below.
These slices can be eaten cold, but I think for it to be appreciated it should be warm. I served them with some oven baked potato cakes.
Beetroot and Cheese slices
You will need a 7inch by 7 square tin or equivalent
Serves 4 – 6
For the pastry
100g plain flour
100g wholemeal flour
Pinch of salt
50g butter, diced
50g solid vegetable fat, diced (I use Trex)
3 – 5 tablespoons of cold water
For the filling
180g cheddar cheese, grated
180g cooked beetroot, grated
1 small red onion, finely sliced or grated
1 teaspoon mustard
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon pickle
Salt and pepper to taste
For the pastry: sift both flours into a bowl with the salt. Add the butter and vegetable fat and rub with your fingers until the mixture resembles crumbs. Add the water gradually and mix well to make a fairly firm dough. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Heat the oven to Gas Mark 6 (see sidebar for conversion)
For the filling: In a large bowl mix all the filling ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Roll out half the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line the tin. Spread the filling over the pastry in the tin. Now roll out the remaining pastry into a square slightly larger than the top of the tin and cover the filling with it. Press it to the sides of the pastry, so that it is well encased. Brush with cold water, then make a small hole in the top for the steam to escape. Bake at the centre of the oven for 30 – 40 minutes, or until crisp. Serve hot or warm cut into slices or squares. Adapted from The Colour Library Book of Vegetarian Cooking, don’t giggle sometimes these older cookbooks have some really good recipes.


  1. Oooh, I would love this. I wonder if my husband likes beetroot enough for me to make it... it's a vegetable we don't often cook with.

  2. Would love to have a slice !!!! yummy!

  3. I was reading your previous posts, you have done a lot of work to get the new season going, the plot may be small but all of those big pots will be filled with veg I am sure!
    You may actually get more gardening in as you won't have to travel to the plot and can potter in the evenings when you come from work.
    The statue of William Wallace is surprising ,Braveheart was on TV here on saturday night! I was not 100% sure if he was fact or fiction but that has now been cleared up!

  4. Wow...I love your darn comforting!


  5. sounds delicious - actually I am sure I was thinking about just this sort of dish yesterday but I can't remember back so far - wonder if my hot water pastry would work with this - tried it with sausage rolls lately and was disappointed - must get my head around my pastry wisdom - if you try another pastry that works better would love to hear as will put this on my list to try soon

  6. Sounds lovely. I'm enjoying seeing ways in which beetroot can be cooked. I'd only ever eaten it pickled before I grew my own last year, and then discovered that it's much nicer cooked than pickled.

  7. I'm going to have to believe you, as like you said it really doesn't sound appealing but it does look good.

  8. Rachel, It is lovely to hear from you. I hope that you are keeping well.
    Please do have a go. The addition of cheese and mayo does give the beetroot a completely different flavour.

    You'd be so welcome to a slice Rachana.

    Thank you so much Peggy for your words of encouragement. And yes those pots are mighty big! and it does stay quite light in the evenings in this part of Scotland too.

    Your comment re: William Wallace made me smile. Yes he is real, unfortunately some people now think its actually Mel Gibson! Just joking!

    Thank you so much Pam.

    Thank you Johanna.
    I actually think hot water pastry would work well with this, but I will confirm it once I've had a go.

    Thank you Jo.
    I've actually enjoyed experimenting and cooking with beetroot that past year or so, it has even converted me to like it a little more than I did say two years ago.

    Thank Kella for having some faith in my tastebuds. I'm not much of a beetroot fan, but even I could eat this :D

  9. mmmmm I really want to try this!! I might try at the weekend!! great blog by the way..

    follow for follow?? XxX

  10. Thank you so much for coming by Joelle.
    I am humbled that you chose to become a follower. Thank you so much.

  11. Thank you so much incidentalice.

  12. Wow, I would want to try this. It looks good AND sounds appealing to me! I love beets and the only way I know how to make them is "beetroot bhujia" which no one cares about after I've made it a couple of times in a row.

  13. Thank you Grapefruit.
    I like 'Bhujia'. It would be nice to see your version.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You