Tuesday, 23 March 2010

First seedlings of the year

It should not be a surprise that the first seeds to germinate on my windowsill are the: 'Trocadero' lettuce.
As you can see the seedlings are all pointing in one direction, towards the sunlight. I have taken of the propagator lids as I am concerned the seedlings will shoot up too fast and be weak.

I am hoping to sow some other vegetable seeds this weekend. My problems soon is going to be space in every sense, where will I put these trays and trays of growing seedlings. I'll think about it this weekend.


  1. I'm so jealous of your little plot of land (and fresh produce)! I'm so excited for spring...

  2. I have to remove the lids as soon as the seedlings appear on the window sill as like yours they get leggy, and I turn them every day if I remember !

  3. Space aside - isn't it great to see the first seedlings coming up? Congratulations. We are not nearly so organised.

  4. This is the best part of spring! Good luck.

  5. It seems like no matter how much space you have in a garden, you are pressed for it...that's the way with me...I always get a little over enthusiastic..."my eyes are bigger than my garden beds" :)

    I'll be looking forward to your garden updates throughout the season.

  6. It's always the case as this time of year, windowsills filling up fast. Perhaps you could get a mini plastic greenhouse for outside, then the hardier seedlings could be moved into that, and it would also solve the problem of the seedlings growing towards the light.

  7. How exciting! it's lovely to think that northern hemisphere gardeners are getting things going, after such a cold winter. Still hot here in oz, with 31C forecast for the weekend!

  8. Hi,

    I've been reading your blog for a little while now and I really enjoy it. Thought it was about time I said hello.

    We had to build a shelf next to the window for our seedlings, but we're quickly running out.

  9. If your seedlings are on a windowsill you might try putting them in a cut down cardboard box with some tin foil to reflect the light back on to them from the dark side. This will stop them growing in one direction because they will get twice the daylight!

  10. Oh Leslie,
    Please don't be jealous, it really is so small. I'm getting excited for spring too.

    Thanks Peggy,
    I never had these problems when i was growing the seedlings in the greenhouse. Your right they are getting leggy.

    Thanks Choclette.
    I agree its great to see the first seedlings coming up.

    Thank you e.

    Your comment made me smile Rose.
    "my eyes are bigger than my garden beds"
    Maybe :)

    Thank you Jo.
    I have purchased a really small mini plastic greenhouse, but already feel it will just be too small. I will just have to learn and make make do.

    Thanks Funkbunny!
    I wish I was were you are today, it is piddling down with rain here, in fact its been drizzly all week (except for the weekend when I was really poorly, so couldn't enjoy it. Boo hoo).

    Hi Jaime Santos-Prowse.
    Thanking you so much for commenting. It is so lovely to make an acquaintance of my followers. Truly delighted to hear from you.
    Space - you think you found a solution and then you fill it up and still need more space. JOys of growing in small spaces.

    Thank you so much Matron.
    I'm off to find some cardboard and claim my Blue Peter badge. Joking aside, it is advice that is really appreciated. Thank you.

  11. Yay for seedlings. Our lettuce and greens are going crazy in the garden. We are still eating the redleaf lettuce we planted last Fall.

  12. Are you trying to make me jealous Krys. Lucky you. Enjoy!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You