Thursday, 4 March 2010

I make good soup!

I know everyone has a good carrot recipe, so I won’t say very much about this, other than it is lightly spiced.
Lightly spiced Carrot and potato soup
Serves 4 - 6
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, finely sliced
450g carrots, chopped
300g potatoes, chopped into cubes
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch of cayenne pepper
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
900ml water or vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: coriander, chopped
Heat the oil and then add the onions and cover and cook over medium heat until the onions have softened. Stir in the carrots, potatoes, garlic and spices, stir well and cook for a further 5 minutes, then add water or stock and bring to the boil. Then reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 – 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the soup from the heat and puree half of it, return to the pot and reheat. Season to taster and stir in optional coriander.


  1. Oh weird, I made exactly and I mean exactly the same soup last week when my mum was over. It morphed from carrot and coriander soup into this, with all the same spices. The only difference is I only used fresh coriander.

  2. Jacqueline what can I say...
    'great minds, or should I say 'home cooks' think alike'. I had some fresh coriander in the fridge, but forgot to add it, so they would have been EXACTLY the same :D

  3. That looks so warm and comforting, I wish we had longer winters here! :)

  4. Thank you so much Mama.
    Wishing for winter, people in Scotland wish for a longer summer, perhaps a swap is due :D

  5. That looks like a really hearty soup.

  6. That looks delicious. I have carrot, lentil and tomato soup bubbling right now but that is definitely the next soup to be made in my kitchen.
    Louise xx

  7. I can't wait to fix this gorgeous recipe! The weather has stayed unusually cold here, and this soup looks like the perfect way to warm up!!

  8. Thank you Jo.

    Thank you Alessandra.

    Thank you Louise. It certainly is soup weather - still!

    Thanks Astra.
    I hope the weather changes for the good for you. The past two days have been rain free, but still bbrrrrrr cold.

  9. I like the use of herbs, my soups use different herbs, so I'll be giving this one a go.

  10. Awesome soup. Loved the color and the ingredients too. Addition of coriander would enhance the flavour.


  11. Kella,
    I agree fresh herbs are a must in soups.

    Thank you Ms Chitchat.
    I agree coriander would have enhanced the flavour more.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You